Overheating problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobbyb7190

Reaction score
not sure if you figured this out or not...

Hey all, first post. Wondering if you ever figured this out. I am having a similar problem on an 05 LR3 with 76K, started with a coolant boil over. I found that the bleed valve above the thermostat housing was cracked (replaced), thermostat was shot (replaced), bled system hoping to correct but no luck. Before the failed fix, the car would start up relatively normally (will have weak starts from time to time if a quick on and off), then after a few minutes at speed, the engine begins to heat up. At the same time, the heater isn't working. Ultimately I recreated a leak -I managed to find the source of the leak by force filling the system with coolant through the lower radiator hose and "pumping" - basically a low grade pressure test. I get a gushing flow from just under the throttle body, at the point where the engine empties coolant into various coolant hoses (it looks like it splits into two different branches, on to the throttle body the other to the rest of the system). I assume that this is the engine coolant outlet, like the DII coolant elbow that comes out of the engine. I've seen that item (the DII elbow outlet and gasket) discussed, but I can't find the part for the LR3. I'm guessing that when the T-stat failed, pressure built up in the system and did something to the gasket or the cracked part (I need to take the part out and replace, but I'd like to find out what it is). Any thoughts? I'll post pictures soon, and maybe a video so you can see this "gusher". It looks like I'm selling fractional oil interests in western Kentucky...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have been reading, there is a very specific procedure for bleeding the system. The sequence must be followed precisely or it will not work correctly.

This site is very frustrating. You can't link to another site, and the upload limit is 19kb. So, not only can't you upload a file, you can link to one either. Try searching for "Cracked-my-Cooling-System-Bleeder-Valve-OEM-replacement-necessary/page4"

jeeze

Last edited:

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator is NOT the issue. I had the EXACT problem you're having. I had the bleeder valve replaced, t-stat replaced, t-stat housing replaced, and a hose replaced. Solved the issue. No problems since.

J Angel Perales

Reaction score
I have read all your comments and so far no solution on site Change Radiator, water pump, thermostat and housing, water reserve box ad cap, it runs about 10 min then heats up don't go all the way to red but stay running hot do anybody knows a shop in Houston other than the over expensive Land Rover shop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV