P0130 (O2 Sensor) or Gas Cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Mark

P0130 is Bank1 Sensor1 and it comes on when the gas tank is 1/2 empty. The code showed itself the last time I went to half a tank.

I checked the sensor with my Actron 9145 and it is bouncing between 1. and .0X, so that means the sensor is working (?).

Maybe the gas cap is in need or replacement. I looked at and the rubber seems okay and without disassembly I could not tell if anything else was wrong.

Question:

New gas cap or replace sensor.???

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a vent issue or early signs of the fuel pump going out.

M

Mark

Let's say it is the fuel pump.
Would I ever feel any hesitation while driving? Or what would I experience.

Let's say it is the gas cap.
Would not I feel anything? With a gradual loss of vacuum, fuel should still make its way to the engine, still humming along, driving fine.
This happened at 1/2 tank full.

Let's say its the O2 sensor.
A temporary loss of flipping through .5 might set off the O2 sensor - Right?

What diagnosis should I be following to determine the mode of failure.

Is the fuel pump hard to replace. I read RAVE and it seemed rather straight forward.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First, If this only happens at half tank of fuel, I doubt it is the O2 sensor, unless it is just a coincidence that that many miles and fuel trips the OBDII.

Gas cap is possible, but since Venting is part of the tank if not more so then the cap, I would lean toward a clogged vent line.

Fuel pump. The only way to truly test is a pressure test. Get a reading prior to start up, after start-up, and then after a long drive. If it is the pump, you should see a noticeable difference.

M

Mark

Update

I filled up my tank and only ran it until 1/4 of tank down. No MIL codes.
This past weekend, having changed nothing, I drove 180 miles and sure enough at 1/2 tank, the MIL light came on and P0130 code was thrown.

So, I ordered a new gas cap (ESR2872) to replace.

Will try that and post later on.

Otherwise, ..............

M

Mark

Update

[Gas cap is replaced and have never run past 1/2 a tank of gas in 6 weeks or so.]

Okay. Again, I went to 1/2 a tank (156 miles) and the P0130 light came on. About a minute before the light came on, I felt the engine do something that could barely be felt by through the steering wheel.

Just as before, I reached a Half-tank and the light comes.

How does a half-tank fire off the O2 Sensor code?

Better yet, what other conditions are tied into the P0130 code (set).

I read on google somewhere about gas caps, sensors, and two other 'things' that might be wrong and sets off the P0130 code.

Ideas???

M

Mark

Found the link:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/OBDII_ECU/

Oxygen Sensor Error Code SummaryCodeDetected ConditionTrouble AreaP0130Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction(Bank 1 Sensor 1)
Voltage output of heated oxygen sensor remains at 0.4V or more, or 0.55V or less, during idling after engine is warmed up (2 trip detection logic)
  • <LI class=standardlist>Open or short in heated oxygen sensor circuit <LI class=standardlist>Heated oxygen sensor <LI class=standardlist>Air induction system <LI class=standardlist>Fuel pressure <LI class=standardlist>Injector
  • Engine Control Unit

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA