PLEASE HELP - First major issue with our LR3 (weird symptoms..) READ ME.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboMeTroy

Reaction score
I'm really trying to get my wife (and kiddos) back on the road ASAP.
First, a little background:

We have a 2006 LR3 HSE and it's been great. We've had it for 5 or 5 years; since 90k. It now has 170k! No major repairs....so far.

There's Jag valve-tapping sound, but nothing to note. It's always been like that. I replaced the thermostat (PITA) a few years ago and the battery a year later, but other than that. It's been phenomenal. My wife really likes the way it drives and the safety aspects, so we'd really like to keep it mobile as long as possible.

Anyways, my wife messages me today that 'the car is smoking like crazy! And I can't move when I give it gas". . a few minutes later, another text, "It's not smoking anymore and seems to be fine on the highway." I asked her if the temp gauge moved, nothing there. I get home about an hour later and the car is sitting there. I check the dip stick and oil BARELY registers on the bottom of the dip stick. I fire it up and sure enough, it's smoking bad...like really bad. I run around the back and check out the clouds, pretty blue and pretty gassy smelling. I shut the car off. . do some Google searches, but ultimately wind up here.

PCV issues, piston rings and burnt/stuck valve are all potential culprits, right? Anything major and/or consistent you've seen with these symptoms? To me, it seems to be consuming oil rapidly (just had it changed 900 miles ago). I would think it would have something major for it to smoke that much and consume that much oil.

Oh, she was also getting that 'REDUCED PERFORMANCE' message on the dash or whatever it says. . I'm nervous this will require MAJOR repair.
I know I might be jumping the gun, but IF that's the case, do ppl have a preferred engine swap they do? (i.e. LS1, BMW V8s, etc? - any known 'direct' drop in setups? Again, my wife really likes the look and feel of the car).

Thanks in advance!!

Waiting on your input for next steps...

Last edited by a moderator:

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure this will help you out

but my wife also had some significant smoke out of nowhere in our 07 HSE a while back
i forget if there were mobility issues or not - but i recall the smoke being white with maybe slight blue tint
had CEL error codes, not sure about dash warnings

so i cleaned the TB, new OEM PCV valve, ran a bottle of techron, and new OEM MAF sensor
also changed the oil and got an analysis on the unknown oil - came back very healthy (no water - whew!)

our first LR, bought it with 116k miles, this happened around 120k miles (welcome to LR huh?)
now have 140k miles and havent had codes or a similar issue since

. . . just other issues :)

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
I'm really trying to get my wife (and kiddos) back on the road ASAP.
First, a little background:

We have a 2006 LR3 HSE and it's been great. We've had it for 5 or 5 years; since 90k. It now has 170k! No major repairs....so far.

There's Jag valve-tapping sound, but nothing to note. It's always been like that. I replaced the thermostat (PITA) a few years ago and the battery a year later, but other than that. It's been phenomenal. My wife really likes the way it drives and the safety aspects, so we'd really like to keep it mobile as long as possible.

Anyways, my wife messages me today that 'the car is smoking like crazy! And I can't move when I give it gas". . a few minutes later, another text, "It's not smoking anymore and seems to be fine on the highway." I asked her if the temp gauge moved, nothing there. I get home about an hour later and the car is sitting there. I check the dip stick and oil BARELY registers on the bottom of the dip stick. I fire it up and sure enough, it's smoking bad...like really bad. I run around the back and check out the clouds, pretty blue and pretty gassy smelling. I shut the car off. . do some Google searches, but ultimately wind up here.

PCV issues, piston rings and burnt/stuck valve are all potential culprits, right? Anything major and/or consistent you've seen with these symptoms? To me, it seems to be consuming oil rapidly (just had it changed 900 miles ago). I would think it would have something major for it to smoke that much and consume that much oil.

Oh, she was also getting that 'REDUCED PERFORMANCE' message on the dash or whatever it says. . I'm nervous this will require MAJOR repair.
I know I might be jumping the gun, but IF that's the case, do ppl have a preferred engine swap they do? (i.e. LS1, BMW V8s, etc? - any known 'direct' drop in setups? Again, my wife really likes the look and feel of the car).

Thanks in advance!!

Waiting on your input for next steps...
My Land Rover too started smoking like hell a few months ago as I was pulling off. It was stinking Of unburnt Diesel so I took the car for a drive and within a mile to car stopped smoking. The car still smells of some unburnt diesel on start up and ticking over. I connected the car to the diagnostic machine which told me I’ve got a intermittent fault with my fuel injection system Land Rover seems to think I should put some cleaner into my fuel as the jets could be starting to be blocked up. After a spell of not being driven for 6 months before I brought the car. The car has 132000 miles on the clock. When it was smoking there was no loss of power and no warning lights were lit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV