Potential purchase advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rennwerkes

Folks, I'm trying to get as much advice as I possible can to education myself of the potential positives and negatives of owning a Disco. The one I might end up with is a 99 Disco II with 55k on the clock.
All I know is that the head gaskets have been done. Otherwise, don't know much anything else about it.
I'm pretty proficient with a wrench so not too concerned about working on it, just don't want to deal with pulling and engine or swapping transmissions! LOL!
Thanks!
Dean

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read a bunch of the threads. You'll see a lot of common and some not-so-common problems. Rovers can have a lot of problems, they are rated very poorly for reliability. I am almost smacking myself for planning to take the Rover to Mexico next weekend. *fingers crossed* That said, the problems you will encounter won't normally involve a motor or transmission swap. Those seem to be pretty stout. You are far more likely to have to replace the ancillary items on the engine rather than the engine itself, and probably a lot of the electronic mumbo-jumbo.

R

rennwerkes

Thanks Jeff!
I'm thinking I'm going to take the plunge.
The one constant seems that despite all the problems these cars/trucks might have everyone or nearly everyone loves them.
If I can deal with a Porsche's stupid engineering defects and BMW's silly problems I'm guessing I can deal with this!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking at a 99 D2, then you will love it.. (BMW owned LR then)

R

rennwerkes

Thanks. Knew about that one! Too bad BMW still doesn't own LR. It'd be a kick to see the new M V10 stuffed into one of these trucks! 500hp WHOA!!! LOL!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi