Potential TDV6 Tune 600+ftlbs of Torque

Discussion in 'Discovery 5' started by jaguardoc504, Mar 6, 2018.

1. jaguardoc504

jaguardoc504 Full Access Member

Hello All
    Some know me from the LR4 section, but I am in the market for a new vehicle. My LR4 has hit 100K, and I want to convert him to more of an overlanding vehicle, and get a new daily driver.

I have narrowed it down to a RRS (L494) or a new D5 Diesel. I need third row, and POWER!!
    The D5 lacked on the power side, so did some digging on upgrading to either the SCV6 or TDV6.
    I have just found a tune from Velocity AP (very good reputation in the racing world) that claims a +68HP and +186ftlbs increase... that over 600+ ftlbs at the crank :eek::eek:.
    This was originally designed for the L494, but if it can be used on the Flexray network on the D5, then I have solidified what will be the new vehicle. I mean how can you say no to 330hp and 608ftlbs.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Kbutler1

Kbutler1 Active Member

Assume that tune pretty much voids the factory warranty, no?

3. jaguardoc504

jaguardoc504 Full Access Member

Legally, Land Rover would have to prove without a doubt the tuned caused the failure.
    If a window regulator fails LR cannot refuse because of a tune.
    If a transmission failed, they would have to prove the tune caused it... how ever it's the same transmission used in the SVR, and other higher powered cars.

Of course there is some risk, with any vehicle modification. Technically LR can refuse drive train warranty for not using OEM tires.

Also the tune is reversible, VelocityAP allows you to store the OEM tune, a revert back to it when ever needed.
    The only way LR could find out is when reviewing the flash counters and comparing the ECU to the IPC or BCM.
    But even then LR is always doing updates and recalls, and these counter rarely match anyways.

flyingdog likes this.
  4. Kj71109

Kj71109 Member

I’d be interested in hearing about this too if you find out more. My wife has an LR4 and I currently have a X5 diesel, and am looking to go the Land Rover route as well. Her driving position is just so much better than mine. I have to test drive one again, as my first drive I wasn’t too impressed. With a few people starting to throw some bigger tires on the Discovery 5, the look has really grown on me.