Pricing Differences for 2013 vs earlier (big changes?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started looking for an LR4. From what I can tell, there is a BIG jump, percentage-wise, from 2012 to 2013 in terms of pricing, even as mileage remains the same. The difference between 2011 and 2012 isn't nearly as much.

Yet there do not seem to be any major changes I can find, at least my searching here. (Slightly better NAV and few different interior colors).

Anything I'm missing? Did 2013 cure any catastrophic mechanical flaws in earlier LR4s ? Or perhaps just enthusiasm for the last year of the V8 ?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off the top of my head...the timing belt tensioner issue is gone (potentially catastrophic) and the navigation is hard drive based (faster) versus DVD.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, timing belt issue is huge. I'm not sure how many have problems, but it's a $6000-$8000 problem if you do!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was only 2010s and a few 2011 that had suspect timing chain tensioners. No belts here.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and replacing timing chain tensioners (they get noisy before failing) is not a $6000-$8000 job. However you can let prospective sellers think that lol.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started looking for an LR4. From what I can tell, there is a BIG jump, percentage-wise, from 2012 to 2013 in terms of pricing, even as mileage remains the same. The difference between 2011 and 2012 isn't nearly as much.

Yet there do not seem to be any major changes I can find, at least my searching here. (Slightly better NAV and few different interior colors).

Anything I'm missing? Did 2013 cure any catastrophic mechanical flaws in earlier LR4s ? Or perhaps just enthusiasm for the last year of the V8 ?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

There is indeed a jump between 2012 ans 2013, but it is not a great as it used to be. There is nothing substancial bewtween 2012 and 2013 to warrant the increase, it is indeed (in my opionion) completely related to 2013 being the last year of the V8 and gear shifter and every vehicle having the hi/lo range gearbox standard.

Sales were a bit more sluggish back then and I recall a lot of hype from dealers about getting the last of the V8's once the 2014's were announced. And immediately afterword, 2013 used prices skyrocketed to points closed to new MSRP. Similar to the 2016s now that the D5's are out. That disparity has never fully dissipated and so I do believe you pay a small premium for the 2013 when compared to the 2012, all else being equal.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and replacing timing chain tensioners (they get noisy before failing) is not a $6000-$8000 job. However you can let prospective sellers think that lol.

Oh I know ALL about the noise! My LR3 sounded like it was gonna send parts flying at startup, but then calmed down in a few seconds. The dealer wanted somewhere around $5000 to fix mine. Independent said at least $3500. The dealer also said it was rare on LR3s and much more common with the LR4s and told me it was in that range. And that's all I know about the prices/

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4.0 engines had it way worse, it could cause catastrophic failures. (had a spring-based tensioner, not hydraulic)

These 5.0 engines (AJ133) use a hydraulic tensioner, but uses a ratchet mechanism to maintain a level of tension, so when the ratchet tensioner is loose or has failed, you get chain chatter. It goes away quickly for most people because the oil pressure comes up and adds tension to the hydraulic part of it.

Also (stole this from jag forums) When a timing chain stretches, the cam chain sprockets are usually worn too. So putting a new chain on worn sprockets will result in a shorter timing chain life. So you need to inspect the teeth profiles on the sprockets and look for wear. You should also replace the timing chain plastic chain guides. More expensive in parts, but labor is the major cost of replacing a timing chain.

I think the other, even more common, issue is the water pump impeller and crossover tube. I still worry about mine, which hasn't been changed, but so far its been ok. Only once did my coolant seem to drop a bit, but that could be a sign.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I know ALL about the noise! My LR3 sounded like it was gonna send parts flying at startup, but then calmed down in a few seconds. The dealer wanted somewhere around $5000 to fix mine. Independent said at least $3500. The dealer also said it was rare on LR3s and much more common with the LR4s and told me it was in that range. And that's all I know about the prices/

There is the problem. Dealer. A good independent would be a fraction of that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72