Programming 3rd Button on Key Fob Transmitter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeler

Reaction score
Re-reading the LR3 owner's manual, I learned that the key fob transmitter has a third function button: the Land Rover emblem at the bottom can be programmed to perform different functions. The owner's manual explains how to set it up to act as a panic button, sounding the alarm system, initiating the headlamp courtesy delay, or even raising or lowering the air suspension.

I thought the remote up and down air suspension would be handy so I set that up pretty easily. The user manual says you have to turn on the hazard warning lamps and close the doors. Unfortunately it would only work when the hazard flashers were flashing, which for me ruins the usefulness.

Anyway, the Land Rover emblem button on my second key fob remote operated a fourth function: it unlocked the rear hatch glass window alone. I think that could be kind of handy.

Unfortunately I re-programmed that emblem button for air suspension and now I want to get the rear hatch window control back. I've not found this in the owner's manual. Does anyone know how to do this?

Attachments

• land_rover_keyfob_button.jpg
    land_rover_keyfob_button.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 91

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's the same programming procedure as my 2006 Sport, you press the Land Rover button on the remote and, while keeping it pressed, you operate the rear hatch window switch. Button should then become programmed to release the hatch. If that doesn't work, try the hatch release button on the center console (again while holding the Land Rover button on the remote pressed.)

Last edited:

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too was severely disappointed in the air suspension setting for the third button... So I have to open the car, and turn on the hazards to get it to work? Kinda defeats the purpose of walking up with my parents, and pushing the button to lower the truck to help them get in...

If that doesn't work, try the hatch release button on the center console (again while holding the Land Rover button on the remote pressed.)

I don't think the LR3 has a hatch release button on the center console...

But I will be trying to program this to my third button at lunch today with your first instruction.

wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto. I was able to reprogram the Land Rover emblem button to unlock the rear glass hatch. Don't know if you need to begin by turning on the ignition, but I did. I put the key in the ignition, turned it to Accessory, immediately removed the key, walked around to the back of the vehicle and while holding down the Land Rover emblem button I opened the rear glass hatch. There was no feedback, but after that the key fob emblem button unlocks the rear hatch.

In a related vein: I may toggle the operation of the key fob unlock mode away from Single-point entry. This is the feature that when you press unlock on the key fob, it unlocks only the driver's door while the rest of the doors remain locked. I access the rear doors almost every trip and I find myself pressing the unlock twice to get into the rear doors. Single-point entry can be disabled on individual remote control keys by pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons for three seconds. Repeat procedure to re-enable.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear, does this UNLOCK the hatch or OPEN it (as in it pops up) ???

wheeler

Reaction score
Good catch, thanks Houm, I edited my Post #4 above for clarity. By pressing the key fob button the rear glass hatch unlocks and pops open a half inch or so. The exact same experience as if you unlocked the rear hatch glass by the exterior hand grip/switch. The lifting of the window is up to you.

I kind of wish the glass hatch would lift open by remote control. You might be able to achieve this by changing the hydraulic strut. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are that it wouldn't be all that useful because I wouldn't want to open it until I was there; and if I were standing right there using one hand to operate the FOB, I may as well operate the hatch.

I have had mine set to the lights coming on with the logo-button for about 9 years now.

wheeler

Reaction score
Update. I played with this a bit and it's not working. When you walk up to the locked vehicle, press the Land Rover button, you hear the rear window hatch release activate and the window moves a little bit but when you attempt to open the hatch, it's stuck and will not open. Only when I press the unlock button on the key fob can I open the window.

Oh well. I may re-program the Land Rover button to operate the headlamp courtesy delay, like Houm. That sounds helpful.

The reason I started this thread is that for the time I've spent with this vehicle (eleven months now), I never knew the LR emblem was a third button!

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's typical and exactly how it's supposed to operate. Don't ask me why. I think it's ridiculous and completely defeats the purpose. If I press the button to open the hatch, then it should completely unlock and not require me to press the handle anyway. My only thought is that perhaps since the hatch is so vertical, the struts aren't putting any force into opening the hatch, so you just get a partial release. I guess I could go test this by pulling backwards on the hatch while I press the third button and see if it releases it completely. :p

wheeler

Reaction score
Yes, cmb6s, it seems like some of these "features" are hobbled. I have a couple of large German Shepherds and my first thought was to be able to lower the vehicle to access height with my key fob. But as johnsoax points out, what's the point of key fob control when you need to open the car and turn on the four way flashers before it will work? Sheesh!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72