Prospective N00B .....*hangs head in shame*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SLS is an option at the "SE" level, and is standard at the "HSE" level. I have a 2004 SE7 with SLS and CDL, but not ACE (since they revised the suspension system for this year.

qadhafi

Reaction score
I've been doing some looking and would appreciate it if someone could take a look at this. I've pretty much decided on a '99 or '00 Land Rover Disco II. I've found quite a few in my price range (9k to 15k) and I just got off the phone with a guy who lives about 2 hours away.

Here are the specs:

99 Silver Disco II
Leather
265/75 Trxus tyres on Wolf rims
Factory rims and Goodyear 265/75 SUV tyres
Safari Gard Sliders, brush guard (w/lights), and basket
300w stereo
Freshly rebuilt superwinch w/plasma line
2" OME lify springs w/ OME shocks
Safari Gard Front bumper w/skid
Safari Gard Sliders

Other stuff
Brand new radiator, all hoses and belts (march)
Brand new heads (Feb)
Windshield is cracked (will need replaced)
Driver's doorhandle is cracked (current owner has replacement but has not installed)
Dent/Scratches on Driver's Door
disco.JPG

disco2.JPG

Carfax says:
Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK
Accident Indicator Reported [Accident Reported in Fulton County involving left rear impact with another motor vehicle. Slight damage reported]
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK
Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported to DMV
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECK®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported to DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
4. OWNERSHIP CHECK
Number of Owners 2 Estimated Owner(s)
Type of Owners Originally Registered as a Lease Vehicle
5. RECALL CHECK
LAND ROVER Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX
6. WARRANTY CHECK
No Coverage Remaining on Basic Warranty

From seller's email:
1. New Heads - the original valves in DII's were not adjustable or self cleaning - the new heads are "brand new", not factory refreshed.
2. New Radiator and all hoses - one of the pully's failed and the fan put a hole in the radiator, so LR bought me a new radiator, fan, all belts, and all hoses.
3. 60,000 mile service done 5000 miles ago - this is a $1000 service that changes ALL fluids, renews the brakes, and inspects everything under the sun.

So the guy says that he is the orginal owner, but carfax reports 2 owners. Is this normal if he would have leased the vehicle and then bought it once the lease was up?

So the guy is asking 14k for this thing. With the dent and the windshield needing to be repaired and the questions about the engine (needing to have the heads replaced) I'm thinking about offering 12,500. The deal I worked out with him is that I would give him $500 and then work out the financing. I would then pick it up within two weeks.

Any input would be appreciated. This will also be the first vehicle that I have financed, so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

I plan on calling the guy's service advisor tomorrow and talking to my bank.

FREE CARFAX REPORTS
I have already bought unlimited carfax reports for 30 days (should end August 6). If anyone want a carfax report please post or PM me the VIN number and I'll run it.

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Derek, that DII looks awfully familiar -- I wonder if I've seen it on DWeb or somewhere like that.

AFAIK, you're correct about the 2 owners thing. The first owner of the car is "Land Rover NA" or whomever holds the title as lessor of the vehicle. Once the lessee bought the vehicle at the end of the lease period, he/she becomes the legal owner of the vehicle.

Given that amount of modification, I hope yer gonna wheel that thing. I'd even go so far as to say don't worry about the dent, since you'll get more, but offer him what you say and see if he won't budge on the cost.

Andy

qadhafi

Reaction score
Moose said:
Derek, that DII looks awfully familiar -- I wonder if I've seen it on DWeb or somewhere like that.

AFAIK, you're correct about the 2 owners thing. The first owner of the car is "Land Rover NA" or whomever holds the title as lessor of the vehicle. Once the lessee bought the vehicle at the end of the lease period, he/she becomes the legal owner of the vehicle.

Given that amount of modification, I hope yer gonna wheel that thing. I'd even go so far as to say don't worry about the dent, since you'll get more, but offer him what you say and see if he won't budge on the cost.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Don't worry about the wheeling part, I wheel the hell out of my Jeep right now. This Disco won't replace it, but it will see some action.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that windshield is one that has heating elements in it (both of my Discovery's had/have the cold climate package, which includes a heated windshield), it will cost you approx. $600 to replace.

I might have missed it, but was there any lift listed on the vehicle (I see the 31's mentioned, but not the type ans size of lift)?

C

campbell

Do you neccessarily have to replace with the heated windshield? I replaced my 99 D2 windshield (non-heated) and it was right at $300.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace it with a non-heated one, but in my neighborhood you often need the heated one. And if the rest of the vehicle has the cold-climate package, I would try to keep the heated windshield (for the complete package).

Obviously, just my opinion.

qadhafi

Reaction score
tmiller1 said:
If that windshield is one that has heating elements in it (both of my Discovery's had/have the cold climate package, which includes a heated windshield), it will cost you approx. $600 to replace.

I might have missed it, but was there any lift listed on the vehicle (I see the 31's mentioned, but not the type ans size of lift)?

I just found out today that it has an OME 2" lift w/ OME shocks.

I'm going to look at it on Sat, anybody got any pointers on stuff I should look for? :confused:

Oh, and any strategies that I can use to talk it down would also be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
qadhafi said:
Oh, and any strategies that I can use to talk it down would also be appreciated. :rolleyes:
Say "I really appreciate what you have done to this vehicle and you are asking a fair price, BUT (and this is where you rip it apart) I am going to have to spend $600 to fix the windshield, I will have to spend $1800 to fix the doors and have them painted, which is ($600 + $1800) $2400 more than what I was planning to spend." This is when he starts realizing that it needs a lot of work. Then you go on to tell him pretty much everything that you are going to need to do to fix it right and how much it will cost. He will have to lower the price....:albertein

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call Sam - even if you aren't really going to fix everything that you bring up in the negotiations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi