Prospective N00B .....*hangs head in shame*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qadhafi

Reaction score
tmiller1 said:
Good call Sam - even if you aren't really going to fix everything that you bring up in the negotiations.

Thanks guys, I'm just aware that I have to be a little delicate casue if I say "I'll give you $12,000" I could totally **** him off and he'll just shut down. I think that 12k is a reasonable starting bid.

Is there anything that is notorious for being wrong with this model? TC, Tranny, back door(hinges), and rust is what I am looking for. Since it HAS been offroaded I'll still test the 4WD system but I would assume that it should be fine since this guy actually has engaged the system (Unlike the people who use them as grocery getters).

qadhafi

Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with the guy and now all of a sudden he is acting totally not cool. I mention something like "After I see it and drive it I'll make my offer" and he then informs me that he "isn't going to take a hell of a lot less that 14k" (the asking price).

***?? Three days ago he said that he was flexible and now he's stonewalling. Evidently he doesn't want to sell this thing. If he wanted 14k he should have been asking 15k so he can come down. On a used vehicle anyone should come down at the very least 10%, I don't care how much extra crap is on it.

I'm feeling twisted up now. I just need to have the stones to walk away tomorrow. Anybody got any advice?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe there is something wrong with it (more than what you have already stated). When you said you were going to drive it, and then he flips out. Buying a used car is sometimes buying someone else's problems.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I agree with Slam. You have a right to drive the Rover before it is bought. Same thing happened to me with a D2 I was looking at. The owner became highly defensive when I asked to drive it ( as though I was out of line??). The rover was quite clearly worth about 12k but because it had a Warn Winch (that did not work), he thought it was worth around 16K. I left him my business card and walked. Told him to call when he was ready to sell.... The Rover is still for sell and he has dropped the price again .. I am no longer interested. Melissa

qadhafi

Reaction score
RoverChic said:
I agree with Slam. You have a right to drive the Rover before it is bought. Same thing happened to me with a D2 I was looking at. The owner became highly defensive when I asked to drive it ( as though I was out of line??). The rover was quite clearly worth about 12k but because it had a Warn Winch (that did not work), he thought it was worth around 16K. I left him my business card and walked. Told him to call when he was ready to sell.... The Rover is still for sell and he has dropped the price again .. I am no longer interested. Melissa

Thanks Sam and Melissa. I am kind of concerned with the police report that stated that there was slight damage [Accident Reported in Fulton County involving left rear impact with another motor vehicle. Slight damage reported]. I'm not sure how to read this. Did the Rover get rearended or did this dude kit someone in the rear?

Oh, and thanks Melissa for the business card idea, I need to go and print some off now (ran out :wink: ).

Any more input would be appreciated. I just got off the phone with Mike and he told me some stuff to take a look at. :cool:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the police report say? It could be:

(1) He was rear-ended
(2) He rear ended someone else
(3) He backed into someone or something.

Do you have the actual phrase used by the police/insurance?

qadhafi

Reaction score
Moose said:
What does the police report say? It could be:

(1) He was rear-ended
(2) He rear ended someone else
(3) He backed into someone or something.

Do you have the actual phrase used by the police/insurance?
Sorry, I don't. That came stright from carfax courtesy of the GA State Patrol.

D

DISCVRY

qadhafi said:
So I just got off the phone with the guy and now all of a sudden he is acting totally not cool. I mention something like "After I see it and drive it I'll make my offer" and he then informs me that he "isn't going to take a hell of a lot less that 14k" (the asking price).QUOTE]

Reading this, I had a thought that the seller might be a member of this board, or at least lurking here. He may have taken this thread as "plotting" against him, rather than helping you.

You should be able to test drive any vehicle that you want to buy. assuming of course that it is offered in running condition. :biggrin:

With all the mods, and the accident this truck was involved in, it sounds like it might have had a pretty hard life anyway. Sounds like you should pass this one up.

I am sure that there are better ones out there that will fit your budget.

qadhafi

Reaction score
DISCVRY said:
qadhafi said:
So I just got off the phone with the guy and now all of a sudden he is acting totally not cool. I mention something like "After I see it and drive it I'll make my offer" and he then informs me that he "isn't going to take a hell of a lot less that 14k" (the asking price).QUOTE]

Reading this, I had a thought that the seller might be a member of this board, or at least lurking here. He may have taken this thread as "plotting" against him, rather than helping you.

You should be able to test drive any vehicle that you want to buy. assuming of course that it is offered in running condition. :biggrin:

With all the mods, and the accident this truck was involved in, it sounds like it might have had a pretty hard life anyway. Sounds like you should pass this one up.

I am sure that there are better ones out there that will fit your budget.

Well, if he was lurking her I hope that he never took offense. I'm not trying to steal this thing, I'm just trying to offer a fair price for the vehicle and there are a few things wrong with it. I came to this forum searching for advice and help because of my inexperience with Land Rovers.

I'm on my way over, so wish me luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV