Proud owner of a 2006 LR3 V6 SE (new to me!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ar_ken

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2006 Land Rover LR3 V6 with the SE package. I bought it from a GTA Land Rover dealer with 86k on the clock. I got it for about 29k OTD. Black on black leather interior.

Outside walk-around:

The LR3 (or Discovery 3) has a very boxy design which is quite unique in today's marketplace. Most SUV's have gone with the round/soft look (ie. RX350, Q5) and I feel the LR3 is a stand out in a sea of new SUV's. The glasses around the truck is huge which aids in visibility. Some may not like the rear glass's design, especially now with the absence of the spare tire. It took me a while to like the design. 8/10.

Inside:

The interior is very spacious with good seating room for five. I am almost 6 feet and I am able to "sit behind myself" comfortably. A lot of storage spaces for both the driver and passenger. Controls have a very "chunky" feel to it, however it is not Audi/VW like in terms of the touchy feely materials. Large dials makes it easy to operate with gloves on. 8.5/10.

Start the engine:

The V6 in the LR3 is directly lifted from existing Ford vehicles (Mustang, Explorer) with unique intakes (I believe) to generate more HP/torque. It is very smooth in idle and remains fairly composed throughout the rev range. Coming from a Saab 9-5 Aero, I miss the midrange ****** of that car, however it is a good drive on its own merit. I'm averaging about 17 MPG in mixed driving (60/40 city/hwy). It recommends premium gas but I use regular anyways. No adverse effects on the car so far. 7/10.

Equipment:

Almost all the commonly expected equipment for a luxury car is present here, with a few notable exceptions:

1) Xenon headlights
2) Memory seat(s)
3) Parking sensors (some may not need it, it's a relatively easy vehicle to park)

Some neat features:

1) Rear heated seats
2) Heated windshield
3) 3 sunroofs (yes, only the first row opens)
4) Air suspension (when working properly) *KNOCK ON WOOD*

8.5/10.

Price:

I've cross shopped the ML350, XC90, Touareg and X5, all from 2006, mileage ranges from 60k-90k. The LR3 is at least 5k cheaper than most of the competitors. In the case of the X5 it's close to 10k cheaper. Typical British depreciation (although the Range Rover Sport seems to be bucking the trend).

9/10

Dealer service:

The dealer had fixed a few things before selling me the vehicle:

1) Front ball joints
2) Tie rods
3) Front + rear brake pads
4) 2 new front tires
5) Oil change
6) Front wiper blades

9/10.

Reliability:

I've checked out the vehicle fairly throughly with the information I obtained through various Land Rover forums. I've decided not to buy the extended warranty (3.1k for additional 3 yrs/60k) due to the high deductible ($200!!). I'll take good care of the vehicle and hopefully it will treat me good in return. So far everything is working in good order and I don't see any signs of anything going south any time soon
It is currently running with dino oil and I will be putting synthetic the next oil change.

Feel free to post your opinions and question here!

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Ken (?) - welcome aboard; have you gotten your HIDs sorted? Seem to recall you were looking at upgrading... I've posted to one of your threads on RFD; not many canucks hanging out here, but a good group anyway! :biggrin:

(that's a hint to the yanks wondering about your mileage/pricing numbers! :biggrin: )

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of an odd first post. Obviously a repost from elsewhere. Congrats on your LR3, I hope you use it off road as well as on. Welcome to the most versatile vehicle ever made.

I think you are really going to start to like that rear lift gate design. Its brilliantly functional. The dip into the right side allows you to reach deeper in the cargo area, gives better visibility out the rear, and allows a comfortable overhang when tailgating in inclement weather.

You can upgrade your halogen lights to HID very inexpensively, around $200 now. It's just an H7 bulb kit with ballast. Plenty of them on eBay, and a really good thread on this forum about 6 or 7 months ago on everything you need.

I had a V6 and traveled extensively with it. Great motor, works fantastic with the tranny + Command Shift mode.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do Canadians use the term 'mileage' if they don't have miles? ;)
kilometereage??

ar_ken

Reaction score
Yes it is a repost from another forum (apology for being lazy)..

And thank you for the welcome. The Land Rover community online is not as big as I'd like it to be, but coming from brands like Volvo and Saab, I'm not in a shock (although I DID have an Audi A4 before, and the Audi online community is HUGE)..

I haven't been using many of the high tech suspension feature yet other than the access height, to get me into a tight underground garage. It is not very likely that I will take it too far off the road, however I do enjoy camping/ice fishing/road tripping so I will be using this vehicle for more than just the weekend mall run.. ;)

Another question for all the gurus on here, how "Ford" is our V6? Reason I'm asking is I want to see what kind of parts are shared with the Fords so I know where I can save some moola (ie. air filter, fuel filter, etc).. yes I am driving a LR3.. but more moola in my pocket is always a good thing... : )

Thanks again for all the replies!

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new toy!
The online community just grew by one more owner...and to think, when Saab goes down in flames, you wont be left holding your violently depreciated 9-5.
Welcome aboard!

ar_ken

Reaction score
I got my 9-5 for cheap and had a really good time with it in the last 1.5 yr.. I WILL miss its power and fuel economy.. however I do welcome the LR3's smooth ride and unsurpassed "class" amongst its peers..

Everytime I go out and I see a sea of ML's and X5's.. puts a smile on my face that I'm not driving what every one else is =D

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till you take it offroad...won't see any MLs or X5s crossing your path then!

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to see a new member. There is a wealth of information here and everyone is always willing to help. Have fun!!

ar_ken

Reaction score
Thanks for all the warm welcome. I'm sure I will be asking people for more help as time goes on... not necessary a bad thing..

I've installed a HID kit yesterday... what a difference in light output! If I have more moola I would've just buy a set of HSE headlights and do a plug and play... but with my limited funds right now it is not an option...

The most important issue for me right now is to do preventive maintenance.. most notably interior leaks.. It seems that these trucks are fairly solid with the exception of a few things.. one of them being that leak... I would like to be proactive in preventing any future headaches...

I can't seem to find any good pictorial step-by-step kind of thread about doing it though.. if someone can shine a light to that it would be great!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72