Pump Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Vicar

Reaction score
It’s been extra cold lately (pretty much everywhere). I have 2011 LR4 and when I first start it I hear what sounds like a pump running. Never noticed it before; just since it’s been cold. Any idea what this is?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely it is the air pump (compressor) for your EAS. It is quite normal for it to run for a minute or two in the morning when you first start the car. It will occasionally run while you are driving as well for a few seconds, but once you are on the road you generally don't hear it much. I don't live in a cold weather region (SoCal), but if it's cold enough I guess ice or caked up and frozen mud could stick around the compressor and air lines, causing them to contact and vibrate against its bracket, parts of the chassis or acoustic box and making it more noticeable? The compressor is wrapped inside a plastic acoustic box to make it quieter, but the box is not water or dirt-proof. If that's what it is, the noise would be originating more or less from under the LH rear passenger door which is where the air pump is installed - if you pay attention or open a window inside your garage, you should hear it running even when it's not so cold... Perfectly normal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV