Puzzling issue with 1995 Disco, code 17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toadboy65

Reaction score
I need someone smarter than I am. I am trying to resurrect a 1995 Discovery 1 manual transmission. It has been parked in a pasture for about 10 years, but my son needs something to drive. We have changed out a great deal of the obvious stuff, but there is an issue.

The car was running fine for the first couple of minutes when cold, then would stutter badly, to the point of being undriveable. On a tip, I unplugged the speed sensor near the handbrake drum. So now the car drives fine, but the speedometer no longer works. I am also getting a code 17 on the error code display. I have removed and attempted to test both the speed sensor and the throttle position sensor. The TPS is getting five volts supply, and seems to give a steadily increasing resistance through it's range of movement, and the Speed Sensor seems to be giving an accurate speed reading to the speedometer when it is connected. Could there be some connection between these issues? I hate to just start replacing very expensive sensors, only to find out that the problem is elsewhere.
Thanks in advance.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Speed Sensor has gone bad. It may still read on the speedometer correctly but it isn't giving accurate info to the computer.

toadboy65

Reaction score
Would that give me a code 17?
And is there a proper test procedure for the speed sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=904

Per this it says 17 is the TPS, but if you unplugged the speed sensor and it resolved the issue I would start there. If I still had one I would send it to you. I keep a spare in my gloved box just waiting for mine to die.

As far as testing download the RAVE if you haven't already and it will give you test procedures.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72