R134a A/C Recharge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw on another site that Joey has done this, but I'm wondering if anyone has a particular experience with recharging their air conditioning with one of those refill bottles. Do you refill at the upper or lower port? Is one can of that R143a really enough to recharge a system?

Andy

P

pvenuti

I have not done it on the DSII but have on another car. The new R134a systems have unique quick disconnects for both the high and low pressure side of the system. So when you buy the refill kit it only connects to the low pressure side(no mistakes). Every car will have different capacitys but if the system is empty plan on 3 to 4 of the 12oz cans. Also assuming you have opened the system to perform maintenance(replaced compressor etc) you will need to have the system evacuated so the new R134a can be drawn into the system.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Moose, just buy one of the kits that includes the pressure gauge... Advance, Napa, Autozone... even Walmart carries them. Around $30 if I recall might be cheaper.

Hook up to low pressure side with the engine and A/C on... Test Front A/C first, then if so equipped turn on the rear A/C as well to test it.

Fill as needed. One can will normall get things cold again, but if it has leaked off use 2 cans... if you don't use one, you can save it or return for a refund.

The gauge tells you how much is needed, and IIRC the required pressures are listed under the hood of the Disco.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bringing this old thread back to life ;) I'm getting ready to get the ac cold again in my 96 discovoery. bit more reading and/or quick phone chat with my long time rover tech to be sure seeing as there are a number of differences in the Disco 1 vs 2 like the power steering fluid used is ATF not PS fluid ;) just replaced that pump and hoses last weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV