radiator remove and replace 2003-disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjvarc

Reaction score
hi,

took my 2003 disco for my 80k service and was advised to remove and replace the radiator.
the radiator has cold spots indicating blockage. i live in los angeles and currently the temp is quite cool however my question is this a big ticket item and should i get a second advice or go ahead and replace at some point and how many miles do i really need to replace before the radiator fails.

thanks,

p

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have to remove it, (can't flush) I'd take it to a radiator shop, they can hot dip it - that'll clean it out.
call first, get prices, it's not that big a deal for them & they'll pressure test.

luck,greg

pjvarc

Reaction score
thanks greg,

i read some previous postings of disco having problem over heating and some owner having to replace the head gaskets. so i'm just holding off and monitoring temp gauge until late spring or summer, maybe the radiator needs to be flush. maybe i should take it to a dealer and see what they recommend.

thanks,
p

d2dave

Reaction score
The radiator is not really a big ticket item... you can order directly from the manufacturer for the replacement and they will drop ship to you. The radiator is fairly simple to replace. Albeit a little time consuming. Its a fun way to get to know your disco. I got my 2001 disco in June and since have replaced head gasket, radiator, upper hose, thermostat and waterpump. I am not a professional or certified mechanic but the workshop manual is straight forward. The toughest part is the pressure fittings for the trans fluid and engine oil cooler lines. Make sure they are in all the way when you are done!

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks greg,

i read some previous postings of disco having problem over heating and some owner having to replace the head gaskets. so i'm just holding off and monitoring temp gauge until late spring or summer, maybe the radiator needs to be flush. maybe i should take it to a dealer and see what they recommend.

thanks,
p

If you take it to an LR dealer, post what the quote & diagnosis was, please

I bet the radiator will cost $800 ---$1000 R&R.

If it's good & you pull it yourself, it'll cost $2--$300 to dip, new hoses, anti-freeze.

If you're convinced it's not good, an independent shop (good one) will be 10 -- 20% less than dealer

luck,greg

xengineguy

Reaction score
The radiator in the D2 is aluminum with plastic tanks,you cant have it boiled out. The caustic used in boil out tanks eats aluminum quick! However you can have the radiator reverse flushed at a good radiator shop,in most cases without removing it from the truck.Have them flush the entire system... Cold spots in the radiator do not always mean you have blockage problems.... If you have no history of over heating at highway speeds or when pulling steep hills at highway speeds I dont think you have a radiator flow problem..

pjvarc

Reaction score
thanks, i was thinking of doing the flush,; have not have over heating or my transmission overheating. the temp gauge is always in the center while driving. thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut