Rear Brake Pads/Rotors.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Parts for Rear Brake Pads/Rotors?

Took my truck in today to have the tires rotated. I had the brakes checked. The pads and rotors need to be replaced in the rear. Currently, Ferodo pads are on it. Not sure what brand the rotors are. Are the current items all I need for the rear replacement of pads, sensor, and rotors? Does anyone recommend going with Lucky8's rotors or sticking with the Brembo-made OEM solid rotor?

Pads: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SFP500140F.cfm

Rotors: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8856G.cfm

Sensor: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SOE000025.cfm

Brake Rotor Locator Screw: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SYP100241.cfm

Also, the tie-rod ends on the front wheels will need to be replaced. Anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bodsy's Brake Bible

I assume that you are familiar with Bodsy's Brake Bible.

If not, the link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible is as below:

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Insert disco3 co uk and put periods in each of the two spaces, blocking you know.

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I typed this.

Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes the pdf up.

The best part is probably towards the end re the electronic parking brake.

It is black art stuff, (well leading edge); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with, the front pair of rotors, and pads, the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes. That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure.

I installed the OEM type solid vented type rotors, (Euro brand), when I did my brakes but used Akebono pads because I was tired of black dust.

The only complaint I have re the Euro rotors is that there is no anti rust coating so on the exterior side looking thru the wheel spokes, the rotors look like old railroad tracks where the pads do not keep them shined up. No black dust but lots of rust showing. I ended up painting the rusty parts of the rotors with heat resistant silver paint and that resolved the looks problem.

I note that more and more rotors are advertising rust resistant coating now - Lucky 8 being one of them I think. Dimpled etc looks good but probably more trouble than they are worth - it is hard to beat the solid non drilled, non grooved, (but vented), plain smooth rotor surfaces for our kind of heavy vehicle.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. That PDF file is excellent. Are you saying I can't just replace the rear brakes, I have to do the parking brake as well? ****.. :hmpf:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to do the procedure.

I thought I would make it sound bad but really it is not.

You can take the rear wheels off but prior to removal of anything else, you have to I guess the term is "Put the Electronic Park Brake into Service Mode". (see page 23 of the Bible). You can then replace the rear pads and or discs and nothing bad will happen. If you have a Faultmate, (or the dealer T4), you can do the Service Mode thing via software but the manual method yields the same results - that is no screeching 50 miles down the road and a ride on a carrier back to your driveway.

You will probably want to at least clean up the parking brake shoes and surrounding. If the parking brake has not been used much, it will probably be sort of OK. Mine, I am afraid to use so it suffers from lack of use - there is no win regardless.

Below is a link to an Excel file I did up re the parts needed. Read the fine print - you can change everything in the file to suit your 3 but it sorts the parts out.
http://www.**************/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3801&pos=29

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need to replace the parking brake pads unless you use them alot and they are warn out.
As for brake pads, consider using a set of Akebono Ceramic pads with your new rotors, they will last longer, stop faster, make no dust and don't squeak.
Don't forget to flush your brake fluid, should take about 2 quarts of brake fluid.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Akebono ceramic's do seem OK.

As for brake pads, consider using a set of Akebono Ceramic pads with your new rotors, they will last longer, stop faster, make no dust and don't squeak.
I installed the Akebono pads seven months ago, (9,000 miles), and to date, all is well. It is too early to say about how long the pads last, but as Disco Mike says, no black dust, no squeaking and the 3 seems to stop OK, better I am not certain, but certainly as well as with the factory pads.

For rotors, I used the solid vented OEM style again.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone recommend going with Lucky8's rotors or sticking with the Brembo-made OEM solid rotor?

The independent shops I go to recommend non-oem brembo spec for lr3. Seem to last longer and cheaper.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, do a google search on Bodsy's Brake Bible. Should be everything you need and more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick