Rear Brake Pads/Rotors.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bodsy's Brake Bible

Link on disco3 to Bodsy’s Brake Bible

http://www.bit.ly/12OMluD

Download the latest version; v1.6a. As of when I last looked, there has been over 13,000 views/downloads of his free 36 page pdf. I see he now has a French edition as well.

The black art part is probably towards the end, (page 27/36 and following), re the electronic parking brake.

Rather than perhaps black art stuff, it may better be called leading edge, or maybe bleeding); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will almost assuredly start.

The good news is the fronts are more normal, but the rears, not so!

In total, for the vehicle, you actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with: (1), the front pair of rotors, and pads, (2), the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then (3), the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes sitting behind/inside the rear rotors.

SoCal66

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread and I hope everyone is ok that I am posting here. :)

I recently replaced the rear brake pads and rotors using a kit I ordered online from AB. I couldn’t have done the job without Bodsy’s Bible, so I offer my thanks here.

The most interesting parts of the process for me had to do with 1) getting the vehicle into service mode and 2) setting the parking brakes when the rotors and pads have been replaced.

What an adventure setting the parking brakes was. I followed Bodsy exactly. The adrenaline was pumping when I finally got the message center in the dash to tell me the LR3 was in the proper mode to set the parking brakes. Success!

As a newbie I also had fun figuring out how to access the fuse box behind the fuse box so I could get the “fuse tweezers” (my term, I’m not sure what to call them) to pull out the fuse for the parking brake after putting the LR3 in service mode.

I’m sure this is basic stuff to most of you long time owners. I thoroughly enjoyed the process as a newcomer and thought I’d share.

Cheers.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed the rear rotors twice in the life of my LR3. I didn't touch the parking brake at all during either of those jobs. Which is to say that the rotor will come off without having to adjust the parking brake.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed the rear rotors twice in the life of my LR3. I didn't touch the parking brake at all during either of those jobs. Which is to say that the rotor will come off without having to adjust the parking brake.

By saying that it sounds like you don't understand the reasoning here.... Of course the rotor comes off easily usually without touching the parking brake. After all, the rotor must have space or else vehicle would not be able to roll.... ;)

The issue here is that in order to properly set the brake pad gap inside the rotor drum space, one must perform the adjustment. If not, it is highly unlikely the parking brake isn't rubbing the rotor too much while driving. The rotor being new, would not have a worn down surface or different casting could cause similar incorrect gap.

I did not use a complicated adjustment though. I simply used the method shown on Atlantic British website video. It's very easy.

Good luck... everyone

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72