Rear spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And that is my general idea. Just put it in the cargo area for off-road. Or up top. I have to try it out first, but I’m thinking that it may be easier to take the tire off a hitch carrier and then remove the carrier than to take the tire from underneath. It’s wedged in pretty tight. Might be overkill I agree and definitely wouldn’t off-road with it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the issue is having that crap low hanging and sticking out the back. it's basically ******** to go out like that. the hitch is for towing.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day from Australia. Kaymar in Melbourne Australia make the world's best rear wheel carrier - no question!! [...] I'm about to have one fitted to my 2014 Disco 4 so I can install a 100 litre aux fuel tank - a Brown-Davis unit - brilliant!!.

Hello from Europe! I hope you're still on the forum... How are the Kaymar bar and the tank doing in the meantime - all well, any issues?

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day navigare,
Yeah - I'm still here. Naturally due to Covid restrictions my D4 diesel hasn't done much for the past year. It's still risky to venture interstate as individual states close borders with 6 hours notice if they
get 1 or 2 new cases. Probably hard to believe for someone from Western Europe. Only a handfull of
cases in past few months & NO deaths. When closures occur we can be stuck over the border or need
to do 14 days quarantine on our return.
But I still regularly fill both tanks - 190+ litres & take long breaks in my home state. The Brown Davis
aux. tank pump system works well - easy to keep the weight distribution correct. I run BFG KO2
all terrains & so far not needed to change to my spare. But with my mobility problems it'd be much
easier to do instead of needing to wind down the spare & then wind up the flat. Such events always seem to occur in deep mud or rocky terrain - never easy!! Plus the Kaymar rear steel bar provides
great protection for the back of the vehicle & has additional tail/brake/indicators fitted. Still have rear
"beep" for parking & OE camera still works as RHS spare mount doesn't obscure it. OE recovery point is still accessible. No rattles with tire mount in even the roughest terrain. I guess that's the result of 30+ years of building them.
I'd recommend both brands to anyone in the market for such equipment. Proudly Aussie designed and
built!! They're a couple of things that we don't import with all the other Chinese junk.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the exhaustive reply, @RobRover88! Good to know things are going well and that you’re still in it… Congrats, too, on your Covid response! I’ve already sent an email to Brown Davis - or rather, it was a vendor, I think - awaiting reply. Will contact Kaymar, too, not sure if they sell to Europe… I have no doubts about their quality but I do have a small question about the aesthetics. In the attached two photos, it looks like the bumper doesn’t fit quite as snuggly as the OEM one… or as its Tactical 4x4 competitor. Is that really so, or are these just two unfortunate photos from the net? i’ve never seen either Kaymar or a T44 in real life.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0c7adf5c328fcbb0075b319f76896c43.jpg

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day again navigare,
I've just looked carefully at my Kaymar rear bar & it's a much closer & even fit than the white
Disco in the first photo. I think it looks much better than the OE plastic bumper. Kaymar now
supply a flexible mud flap. My D4 is Corris grey & the Kaymar bar is matt black. With my black steel Opposite Lock bullbar up front, black APT rock sliders & anthracite Compomotive wheels the rig looks
great. I've put a black vinyl cover over the spare. I'm still trying to find a large Land Rover oval sticker
for the cover. The wheel mount does not compromise rear vision from the drivers seat.
Brown Davis didn't provide a sticker for their aux. tank. I often have to answer questions regarding the
make of my tank. Kaymar have a single nameplate on the RHS, unlike the grey D3 in your photo with
one on each side.
Stay safe in Western Europe. I guess I won't be visiting there again anytime soon.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @robrover, that sounds optimistic, then! I've already written Kaymar and FYI and for anyone who may read this thread, they list a French company near Toulouse as their EU vendor (they also have outlets in Ukraine and Russia) but the emails to that vendor bounce back, so I've asked some questions to the HQ, about delivery, price etc. and we'll see. Not sure I'll have time to sort all of this out before the summer break but I am in no hurry, Covid won't let me have a major expedition this year anyway. But I hope that next year or 2023 at the latest, I can for the first time put the car in a container and ship to the US/CA for starters. And then it will be S. America and Australia in the subsequent year, which is when a rear bar (or at least spare carrier and tank) will become a necessity, I guess.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA