Replacement rear view mirror for D1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A question about the 'plug'. Where did everyone find the plug? How far up the wires did you have to go to find a plug?

My wiring goes directly into the loom. No plug. What the heck, people? Was this vehicle built by hand or something? Someone party a little hard the night before installing my mirror? Hmm?

A

Angelos

Hi there !
this thread has helped me get my new mirror so first of all a BIIIG thank you to all !!!
Now for the hard part: I'm really new to this and I 'm not very comfortable taking my car apart, although I can handle tools pretty well. Can anyone give me any direction on how to replace the mirror? It should be pretty easy, but with the windshield involved...well you get the picture...:rolleyes:
My Disco is a D1 1997 ES with twin electric sunroofs

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Whatever I can do to help let me know. Post here I can forward whatever you need. RoverChic

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The base of the mirror is removed from the windshield by tapping it parallel to the glass in the direction of the hood (from the roof). It's very simple. May or may not be a plug in the wiring. If not, just splice the wires and voila **** and stuff.

I have a 1997 as well.

A

Angelos

Thanks a lot guys ! I'll give it a try tomorrow.
One question though: I thought that I should take the overhead console apart in order to find the plug and connect the mirror... no?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can, but you could also cut and splice if you are at all comfortable with that.

A

Angelos

Changed it !!!! :biggrin:
I took the overhead console apart in the end and plugged it in. Took 30 min including getting over the fear of messing up the inside trim :bandit: ..... Thanks a lot people !!!!!:cool:

N

nydisco

Hello,

I am new here. I don't own a Land Rover but my good friend bought one recently (from my good advice). Anyway, I get the perks of driving it quite often so I am petty happy. We also took it off-road a couple of times and now want to build it into a more serious off-roader. But that will come with time.

The reason for posting here is that the dimming mirror on the disco went bad as well. It is a '96 model year, Series 1 (obviously). As I read here, I can get one for free. I like that idea very much (who doesn't) since I don't like the dealers either.

Can anyone send me the word doc with the details on how to get the replacement mirror? I see Melissa (RoverChic) put one together, but it is still not in the Tech column.

Thanks in advance,
Klim

T

tirewall

Replacement Mirror

Magna Donnelly in Holland, Michigan replied to my email in two days, emailed me a claim form and shipped me a replacement mirror within 1 week. It works NICE! Thanks for the info!

D

dave77

Following is an email I received from MD regarding replacement mirrors. From the dates of this forum, it looks like they were still sending out mirrors out in December or January. Has anyone else had any luck lately?

Dear Dave,

I apologize for the problem you are having with your auto-dimming mirror.
Magna Donnelly has discontinued replacement of auto-dimming mirrors outside
of the vehicle warranty period. Our mirror products carry the same
warranty as your vehicle. Please contact your dealer for details of your
vehicle warranty.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact me if you need
additional information.

Best Regards,
Carol Engelsman
Magna Donnelly Corporation
Inside Sales Coordinator
Phone: 616-786-7967
Fax: 616-786-5414