Replacing shift linkage rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeNH

Reaction score
I have a 99 4.0 SE Rover that has been sitting a bit. I threw in a new battery, moved the truck to where I can work on it, then it got stuck in park. I looked underneath and the rod is broken right where it connects to the transmission. Is this something a non-mechanic like myself can replace? I'm assuming the gear selector on the tranny is rusted and stuck, which broke the rod when trying to shift.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It may have just rusted in half. But should be replaceable easily enough as long as you can get your hands in there.

MikeNH

Reaction score
Seems like it should be replaceable. It broke right where it attaches to the tranny, right before the part that allows adjustment. What's really bothering me is if it broke there, shouldn't I still be able to move the shifter? I realize it won't do anything, but I can't move the shifter out of park. If the rod is broken I would think the shifter would be free.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I presume you are doing this with the engine running and your foot on the brake... Do you hear the click when you push the brake? The actuator should disengage when you press the brake to change gears.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut