Restricted Engine Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, last night when I was pulling on the highway the restricted engine performance light came on.

I didn't notice any loss of power and within a few minutes it went off. However, the engine light stayed on but with no messages.

I took it into the dealership today to see what's up. The weather has been very cold and I notice that the LR4 really doesn't like cold weather. Between this, the TPMS faults, and the glove box rattles (which the dealership is looking at).

We'll see what they say when I pick it up. I have a feeling it will just have had the engine light reset.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 Sport did that when the MAF sensor started acting up (it was cleaned and eventually replaced.) CEL and Reduced Engine Performance message would pop up out of nowhere as I was coasting down a highway, then the message would extinguish but the CEL would stay on until the next ignition recycle. When I got to a stoplight, the car actually stalled on me a couple of times after the light show on the freeway. Replacing the MAF sensor got rid of the issue for me. More often than not, if the sensor is causing the issue it can just be cleaned with a dedicated MAF sensor cleaner and reinstalled. The dealer should be able to pinpoint the issue after checking the diagnostic trouble code stored in your ECU.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
I've had zero issues with cold weather (long week in McCall, ID over the holidays included) but I find the mass air flow fault interesting. Our other car is a 2004 MY Audi A4 that has been having check engine issues due to the MAF sensor (and the valve it turns out) along with, literally, 7 other people that I know with Audis of the same vintage and newer as well as 2 other friends with LRs. It's probably coincidence, but I do find it strange that there seems to be an explosion of MAF-related problems this winter after never having heard of the issue before. I've been trying to do a little research on sources and variability of "supreme" unleaded in the Pacific Northwest but had little success. My supposition was a different formulation of the gas itself, or to the ~10% ethanol additive used here. Anybody with a petrochemical background hanging around on this board that wants to pipe in?

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from upstate ny and the last month or so has been very cold, temps in the low teens on and off. Hadn't had any issues personally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV