Rocky Mountain summertime trails.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am coming from the Springs, so Hall Valley would be quite a trip from where I am starting. Might be an overnighter with some camping thrown in sometime in the future for me. I also wonder if it may still have a lot of snow. Hackett and Longwater both look pretty fun and they are between the Denver and Springs area. I didnt send BldrRvr a PM. Maybe post on the Solihull forum and make it an unofficial run?

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, so we will pass on Hall Valley then. Let's maybe plan on Hackett, and if things change/time permits, we can run Longwater or Metberry. I'll post to the Solihull forum in just a few, and I'll also send Matt an email.

Any time/place you prefer to meet? I'll likely be coming south through Westcreek on 67, and hope to get an early start. We could try to meet along CO 33/Lakeview Dr., in front of the resevoir...but I don't know if there will be a good spot there.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We could meet in Westcreek. I havent been up there yet so I dont know where any good landmarks are. I have a Garmin and a decent sense of direction but its nice to have like a parking lot/gas station etc.. to meet.

Last edited:

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could work. I'm not sure if there are actually any fuel stations in Westcreek (and can't tell from Google's satellite imagery), but we could meet up at the intersection of Westcreek Rd (CO 73) and CO 68 (Stump Rd). Stump Rd/CO 68/CO 33 is the dirt road we'll need to take to access the trailhead.

Meeting in Westcreek also requires you to drive a little further north than necessary, so let me know if you want to do something else. I'll also try to find a more suitable meeting spot, with actual landmarks.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking on Google Earth for good places as well, I dont mind going out of the way a little to keep it easy. If you want to meet at 73 and 68 thats fine. Hopefully we can get a few more people interested.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, sounds good. Let's plan on that then, and if we come up with anything better we'll adjust. Haven't gotten any more responses from the Solihull forum, but it usually takes a little while to get replies over there. Any thoughts on time? Like I mentioned, I wouldn't mind getting a pretty early start, maybe leaving Denver around 7ish.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it would take about 1.5-2 hours from Denver and its about an hour from me, so like an 8:30 to 9:00 AM meeting time? Works fine for me. I have some tow straps and basic recovery stuff, no winch though.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, let's plan on meeting around 8:45 in Westcreek then, and head out from there by 9. I've also got all the basic recovery equipment (straps, shackles, chain, hi lift, shovels, etc.), and no winch...but that is why you bring 2 trucks :biggrin:. I don't foresee anyone getting stuck though, as it's a fairly easy trail.

Unless we pick up some Solihull folks that have driven the trail before, I'll plan on leading (although I have never driven this trail before). The last Solihull run to China Wall gave me some pretty good experience at spotting, so we should be good on that front. You got a CB in your rig?

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No CB. Ive been meaning to pick up a couple of Motorola's or handhelds of some type, I guess this will make for a good reason to do it. Ill install my rods as well. Weather report looks nice so it should be a good trip.

Once you are back at the trailhead, the other 2 trails are right there so if we get started at a decent time we should have time for more than one.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, handhelds would probably work if its just the two of us. I'd recommend just biting the bullet and buying a CB if its between the two though, since that is the standard for most clubs, rallys, etc. I think I picked my CB and antenna up for less than $100, and spent a day running cables, drilling holes and fabbing up a bracket for the rear. Pretty easy install, and I put the radio unit/mic in my center cubby box. I can take some pics if you are interested. You could also scoop up a handheld CB, but the range isn't quite as good (plenty for trail runs though).

The rods go on pretty easy, but get some silicone spray for them. Don't pull on the rod itself, just wedge a screwdriver or 90 degree pick under the rubber portion, and pry it off evenly. I hear a golf divot replacement tool works well also. I usually just throw them on the night before I leave.

If the group doesn't get too large, we should definitely have time to run a couple of the trails in the area. They are all less than 4 miles...so as long as I can get us there in a reasonable amount of time we should be good. I've only been down there once though, and the directions on traildamage pretty much suck, so I can't guarantee anything. Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV