roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not looking forward to buying and installing the short rails

I'm looking at going with the Prospeed rack as well, but need to convert my 2016 LR4 Landmark from the long rails to the short rails. For those who have done it, what is the best way to do this conversion? I asked the guys at Atlantic British, and they could not confirm whether or not their short rail kit would work for the conversion. Thanks!

After installing long rails on my last LR4 and installing the short rails on the one I recently purchased...you could simply remove the long rails, cut them about 2 inches in front of the screw that is located above the front door (the one before the dip in the roofline) and cap it off. You will have the same 3 screw points secured that the short rails have, the only thing you will not have is the end cap that is provided with the short rails. It's less expensive than a new set of short rails.

FYI - if you do decide to purchase the short rails, you can get the Land Rover OEM set directly from the UK using part#CAB500120PVJ, this will give you the 2yr warranty and you won't have to worry about getting a chinese knockoff from ebay --- I was able to get them shipped from the UK to Florida for a total of $321.50 via www.lrdirect.com

XLR8TOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iSurfvilano here are a few pics
IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_5829.JPG

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iSurfvilano here are a few pics...
That's a nice looking low profile rack. Thanks for sharing the pics (I came very close to ordering the same one).

How is the road noise? I would think with the low profile and the wind faring, it's got to be pretty minimal.

XLR8TOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking low profile rack. Thanks for sharing the pics (I came very close to ordering the same one).

How is the road noise? I would think with the low profile and the wind faring, it's got to be pretty minimal.

There's very little noise if any....I can hear a difference with the sunroof open but that's it. I've had the rig up to 80 with the rack on and I can't tell a difference between before and after.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only bought the floors for the rack...ProSpeed has great accessories but the bill starts to add up quick.

yeah, the bill does rack up quick. I have 2 floor panels coming in with my rack and may consider a 3rd to put a tent up there. Looks like a lot of the accessories (much like many roof rack accessories) can be pieced together by going to the hardware section of your local home depot. Great looking ride.

Have you considered putting a tent up there? Met a guy at overland expo east that put a $20 tent on top of his roof rack while keeping his gear in his LR4. Instead of the plastic plates he had plywood panels that screwed into his voyager rack. He joked about all the $500+ roof tent setups and how they are more of a pain in the ass when you want to quickly take off the next day. He literally put a tent like this one up there (https://www.walmart.com/ip/TOMSHOO-Single-Layer-Outdoor-Portable-UV-resistant-Camping-Tent/521341708) and just secured the corners to the roof rack using carabiners. Brilliant.

XLR8TOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, the bill does rack up quick. I have 2 floor panels coming in with my rack and may consider a 3rd to put a tent up there. Looks like a lot of the accessories (much like many roof rack accessories) can be pieced together by going to the hardware section of your local home depot. Great looking ride.

Have you considered putting a tent up there? Met a guy at overland expo east that put a $20 tent on top of his roof rack while keeping his gear in his LR4. Instead of the plastic plates he had plywood panels that screwed into his voyager rack. He joked about all the $500+ roof tent setups and how they are more of a pain in the ass when you want to quickly take off the next day. He literally put a tent like this one up there (https://www.walmart.com/ip/TOMSHOO-Single-Layer-Outdoor-Portable-UV-resistant-Camping-Tent/521341708) and just secured the corners to the roof rack using carabiners. Brilliant.

I've thought about a roof top tent, however, I have a young son that I don't want to risk having an accident. We use an OZ Tent for camping which has worked out pretty well.

Red Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about a roof top tent, however, I have a young son that I don't want to risk having an accident. We use an OZ Tent for camping which has worked out pretty well.

XLR8TOR - do you recall what Lucky8 charged you for shipping? I couldn't get anyone on the phone and the website won't give you a shipping quote in the cart. Since I don't live far from you, I figured the shipping would be about the same. I also sent you a PM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV