Running Winter/Snow tires in relatively warmer temperature areas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they are really 8.5/32" of tread, but still with a 60,000 mile warranty.

I would look at other sites as well, Tirerack has reduced their selection a little - you can find most of the commonly available tires and their specs at

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/255-55R19.htm

Then seach from there where you may want to buy them, although in my experience there is almost always a local place that will come very close in price to online plus shipping prices, saving you the hassle of hauling them to a shop and asking them to mount them for you when they did not make the sale. It is also easier to have a local shop swap out a tire with their distributor if any of them have balancing issues.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs come in 255/55/19 and would be a good all-terrain option if you want to stay with a 30" tire.

I think that size might be discontinued, or at least appears to be. Last I looked it was still on Goodyear's site but I can't find any retailer that shows them as in stock or available. I've been looking since mid-summer and haven't come up with any.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing will beat a dedicated winter tire in snow & ice, but I am curious to hear how the KO2s perform this season. They have a snowflake and mountain designation symbols on them. Not sure if it means much in the long run.

I ran KO2s last winter. Worked great in Colorado winter and allowed me to drive to AZ and do some off road there and along the way. The pic below is from one of our first drives with the KO2s.

IMG_0134.jpg

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that size might be discontinued, or at least appears to be. Last I looked it was still on Goodyear's site but I can't find any retailer that shows them as in stock or available. I've been looking since mid-summer and haven't come up with any.

When I was looking recently, the DuraTrac was not even on the Goodyear site, then about a week later it re-appeared, but with a new part number. My guess is that there was a manufacturing change in some respect. They may be on their way over from Germany still. The new product code for the 255/55/19 size is 150884574. When I bought them 2 years ago it was 150663574 for the same 255/55/19. Try searching both and see what comes up....

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking recently, the DuraTrac was not even on the Goodyear site, then about a week later it re-appeared, but with a new part number. My guess is that there was a manufacturing change in some respect. They may be on their way over from Germany still. The new product code for the 255/55/19 size is 150884574. When I bought them 2 years ago it was 150663574 for the same 255/55/19. Try searching both and see what comes up....

That would be awesome - I hope you're right.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, Mich Premier LTX has the tread depth of only 8/32, is that a typo on tirerack site?

No, that is correct. I put a set on my wife's LR4 then a week later had it in to the dealer to get a new water pump. The dealer marked the vehicle inspection sheet as the tires being 50% worn.

But they are very quiet and excellent in the rain. However, I do run dedicated Nokian winter tires on both our LR4s. You can't go wrong with the WRG3.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run the WRG3 entering my 2nd winter. Confession, I am a huge fan of Nokian's. Living in Colorado, 95% of the time to roads are dry here, and in the summer you have months of 90s+. Still no noticeable accelerated wear after 15k miles. Excellent winter traction. Not as good as a the R2 or Hakka 8, but very close. Never had any issues even in some hairy mountain driving in storms. Good wet weather traction as well. The Swiss Army Knife of tires, you won't be disappointed.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, this has been very helpful.

The tie is in between the Premier and the WRG3 now. After doing some research, WRG3 is indeed looking very good. Also, eagerly waiting to hear some feedback from the early adopters as far as Conti's new all terrain Terrain Contact as well as its performance in snow.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Colorover, how is the dry summer performance (comfort, noise) as well as rainy wet pavements?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Colorover, how is the dry summer performance (comfort, noise) as well as rainy wet pavements?

Very quiet, probably quieter than the stock Pirelli's we had. Soft as well, but still some sidewall, although they should be soft and quiet with less than 20k miles on them. Rain performance was also strong, no hydroplaning that I have ever noted even in some pretty substantial downpours. Love these tires and have recommended them to many people with no complaints over the last many years (going back to the WRG2).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA