Running Winter/Snow tires in relatively warmer temperature areas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ That's one adorable Golden @colorover !

I ended up buying my second choice winter tire (Blizzak DM-V2), simply because Nokian wasn't sending anymore Hakka R2s this year in the size I wanted (255/55R20)—damn Finns! So as the saying goes, when you snooze you lose... The Blizzaks have been performing great, but I'm still pretty bummed they aren't Nokians, given their XL rating and longer life. The Blizzaks are very very soft in 50°+ temps and feel like a completely different tire in colder temps.
68efd17bf57f1f5f734a0941fb033c2f.jpg
014a3e7927dd9f39d216c33df5e649ee.jpg

I was tempted to run my Nitto Terra Grappler G2s just for this winter, but being 285s they floated quite a bit and are a little scary in the slushy stuff. Also with my friends and family occasionally taking it to go skiing, I felt the Blizzaks had to happen.
3a31319f1210744c2f344e28e2937fa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run those also and I think for a true winter tire.. in really bad conditions, these are superb winter tires. I agree the others might have been better for ~50F style winter. Its -6F as I type this in Dubuque, Iowa... -22F wind chill. Perfect Blizzak weather.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in KC I believe the city gave most of the snow removal crews the month off. Or maybe the cold (it was 0 this morning) just makes their jobs harder. Regardless, since the snow hit two nights ago, there's been a constant layer of slush, snow, or ice on the roads.

My Michelin Premiere tires are showing their wear in this stuff (they were on my LR4 when I bought it, but I'd estimate they have around 30-35k miles on them). Braking is good for the conditions, as is acceleration. Where they have some problems, though, is drifting a little around corners.

I need to figure out what I want to do about my wheel/tire situation. Now, I'm leaning back towards using 18" wheels. I don't think it snows enough here to warrant dedicated snow tires, but I could see an all-terrain on the 18's and then throwing a good all-season on the 19's.

Decisions, decisions.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Crash, bonus Golden pic... Nice looking 4 there, maybe will see you cruising around town. The WRG3s have amazing range without changing their feel whether 90s or subzero (as was the case this morning.) Looking forward to getting back to the 50s soon!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have come to appreciate dedicated purpose built tires. I think you can get by in most places with no-season tires...er, "all"-seasons tires.. excuse me... but if you can swing two sets of wheels/tires, then specialize and enjoy the benefits.

On my G35x I use dedicated summer performance tires on one set of wheels and blizzaks on another set of wheels. On the LR4, big meaty all terrains on 18" for summer/camping/towing and stock sized blizzaks on factory 19" for winters. Wifes Lexus SUV, alsmost same deal.. set of blizzaks and then summer all seasons...she actually uses Goodyear ComfortTread all seasons, but for her those are fine.. she is specializing in comfort I guess.. even though you ask her about some strange noise and she has no idea. She could have square wheels and probably not notice.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you LRwhat, Colorover, and Crash, for posting the pictures, very much appreciated. Yes the look is important to me :) I couldn't find the exact circumference and other dimensions on the 255/55/19 like TireRack site does. Want to make sure it does not look small in the wheel well, dont want to loose even a millimeter of the side wall :)

I am even looking into 255/60/r19 just for that reason, not sure what kind of affect/stress it may have on the speedometer or other components if any.

Or how about 260/55/19, i understand that the sidewall stays the same here.

AJMac

Reaction score
Just installed my 3rd set of Nokian WRG3 SUV. On my2012 RRS, I got almost 50K miles on them before replacement, we'll see how my2015 LR4 does. These stay on year round, quiet, great traction and braking in all conditions. Personally, I wouldn't buy any other tire at this point. Just my ¢02.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been quoted $199 each for four WRG3 SUV at a tire shop about sixteen miles from me as my local tire shop here in SoCal doesn't carry Nokians. Plan to pick them up and have them balance/installed at my local and tried tire shop for about $160.

Does $199 sound about right to you guys?

Also, any advantages to road-force balancing brand new tires?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been quoted $199 each for four WRG3 SUV at a tire shop about sixteen miles from me as my local tire shop here in SoCal doesn't carry Nokians. Plan to pick them up and have them balance/installed at my local and tried tire shop for about $160.

Does $199 sound about right to you guys?

Also, any advantages to road-force balancing brand new tires?

Shouldn't be more than $20-25/corner to mount and balance. Otherwise the tire price sounds good. I've never bothered to road force balance SUV tires and haven't ha an issue. Sometimes with Nokian's snow tires I've seen tires that have a heavy spot. Good tire techs will make sure the weights are no more than a few ounces for each wheel. If it is more than that, they should break the bead and spin them another ~90 degrees so you don't wind up with an 8" long string of wheel weights. Just find a good shop and installer and you should be in good shape.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
I have had the Blizzaks on an X5. Used them for dedicated winter tires. Absolutely amazing in the snow at Mammoth Mountain. Get them off the truck once the snow stops as they will wear like crazy.

I have Duratracs on the LR4 and like them, but I don't believe the 255/55R19 is a "snowflake" rated tire. All the other sizes are for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV