Salisbury axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

KevinGA

Hi everyone. I am kind of new to Land Rovers and I have a couple of questions.

I have a 1974 109" Station Wagon (6 cyl.). I think I read somewhere that they all came with a Salisbury rear differential that is more durable than the Land Rover rear differential. Is this correct?

I think I have also read that a few came with a Salisbury front differential. What would be the best way to confirm which front differential is on my Rover?

Thanks for any info you can give me on this.

Kevin

One4adventure

Reaction score
Hi there i am new to the board, Salisbury is a tubular style axle easily recognized by the bolt on cover on a cast centre. Google images for Dana 60 and you will see a Salisbury design.
The rover axle is a fabricated beam made from two pressed halves, look under a discovery at the mall parking lot to see one of those!

Cheers,
Chris

danshepp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the the pictures in the haynes manual as these will show you the difference.

yes the salisbury axles are a hell of a lot stronger, but more expensive!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need any specific parts or question, call Bill Davis at Great Basins Rovers in Salt Lake City. He is the expert with all our running gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72