Sand Driving - Experiences/Technique/Equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the LR3 and LR4 has the same 5 selectable Terrain Response modes. One of which is indeed "Sand".

Explanation taken from elsewhere on the web:

Sand: Starting off from rest in sand requires gentle throttle action, but once the vehicle is moving you want to get up on top and maintain enough speed to avoid sinking. So the TR system initializes the accelerator pedal softly, but then ramps up the response with increasing speed. In the sand setting, the transmission shifts up at higher RPM, and downshifts quicker as well, to keep the engine in its optimum power band. This prevents a sudden patch of very soft sand from bogging down the engine. HDC is not automatically activated in this program, nor are differential thresholds altered. Traction control is set to reduce wheel spin but also to induce less torque intervention, to maintain smooth power application. Meanwhile, the message centre displays steering information and warns if ride height has not been reached.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand mode is a hoot to use at stoplights as well... :cool:
Ohhhhhhh, really? Never tried it on pavement. What's it do, burn rubber?

Well, I did a little (little) research and it seems the Sand modes are the same from what I can find. I could have sword I read that in late LR3 years or early LR4 they had added or revised the sand mode based on experiences of early users. Could be that they just revised the algorithm to allow more spin. Who knows.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA