Satellite radio problems, & AM radio problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had a few cars with XM, and over the last few years, never had one problem. We just activated our sirus satellite few days agoin the new LR4--and not so great.

Every single bridge/overpass from detroit to chicago, the satellite radio blacks out for 1-3 seconds. I have driven this route nearly a hundred times with a few other XM satellite cars and have never had this problem. It was a crystal sunny day. It did it no matter what satellite station i listened to.

Also, changing stations on sirus satellite takes over 3-5 seconds of silence before it changes---our previous vehicles never took more than 1 second.

Furthermore, I am a big AM listener here in chicago of about 4 stations...and, once again, never had any issues in 15 years...but with our new LR4, the AM station reception is very unreliable...constantly coming in and out of good/poor reception.

I am wondering if there is an antenna/reception problem with the LR4? I have never had any such problems with any prior vehicle ever.

sfowler

Reaction score
I too drive daily in Chicago and reception is terrible. Am stations go in and out regardless of where I am on the road. Satellite stations will disappear if a I pass a truck. It definately seems like there is a reception issue.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know if any fix is available for the AM radio issue? i have heard that the replacement of the sirius module helps the reception problems of satellite sometimes.

kirsh56

Reaction score
LR4 Radio Issues

I have experienced the exact same thing on AM satations for my brand new 2011 LR4. Reception goes in and out. Had it back to the local dealer three times. After telling me the first two times they couldn't hear the issue they just told me they did identify that it was happening but it happens on all LR4's so there is nothing they can do. I asked why it didn't happen on the Range Rover Sport that they drove me to the station in? They said because that's a whole different system. Basically, the answer is "suck it up and deal with it"... Nice - $55K for a 2011 LR4 and the radio drives me crazy...... Any suggestions?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't listen to the satellite radio or AM, but I know here in the SF Bay area sometimes FM stations give off a little bit of static. It sounds like the antennae overall may not be the best? I should do my free activation of Sirius and see how it sounds.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree satelite radio reception and stability is HORRIBLE on the LR4. I've had Sat Radio on the last 3 cars, and the LR4 is WAY too sensitive. I think I loose signal if a Lady Bug flys over the sat antenna on my LR! Changing channels is also way too laggy. I believe that this is due to the design of the receiver / antenna combiniation ... for which there will be no quick fix. :hmpf:

As for AM, I think what some people may be seeing is the radio automatically switches between AM signal and HD Radio signal if a staion is providing it based on signal strength. You can notice it if the quality of the audio increases / decreases dramatically while listening to a station. For some stations, I have found that their FM or AM / HD signals are not always in 100% sync. Just my 2 cents.

kirsh56

Reaction score
AM Radio Reception

I have the same issue on AM. I have there other cars in the flamily now and have had 4 others over the past 5 years and NEVER had this issue with any one of them traveling over the exact same roads in CT. Land Rover told me to turn off HD. It doesn't help. I have been back to the dealer 4 times and they can't fix it. They told me it's normal for the reception to go in and out while you are driving around. I got LR Corporate involved and they won't do anything. $55K for a 2011 LR4 and I want to dump it because of this. I have a good friend who runs News 4 New York and I think the next stepp is a nice little TV segment on the issue. Maybe that will get LR's attention.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue on AM. I have there other cars in the flamily now and have had 4 others over the past 5 years and NEVER had this issue with any one of them traveling over the exact same roads in CT. Land Rover told me to turn off HD. It doesn't help. I have been back to the dealer 4 times and they can't fix it. They told me it's normal for the reception to go in and out while you are driving around. I got LR Corporate involved and they won't do anything. $55K for a 2011 LR4 and I want to dump it because of this. I have a good friend who runs News 4 New York and I think the next stepp is a nice little TV segment on the issue. Maybe that will get LR's attention.

you really think there will ever be a news 4 segment on lr4 radio reception issues? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV