Saying goodbye to an albatross

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend bought a diesel CPO X5 and so far he has $12,000 in repairs in 2 years. Thankfully all covered by the CPO warranty.

I see that Saturn, Mercury and Pontiac are in there but no Oldsmobile or Plymouth?

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine for a year as of two days ago. Granted it has a 4yr, 52k warranty, I haven’t had many failures.

-Hood latch sensor($26 Amazon)
-AMK compressor purchased day after I bought the truck as the prior owner had some sort of BS compressor replacement.
-MAP sensor
-Set of brake pads/rotors
-4 new KO2’s.

In fact I’ve spent more on overland parts & Accesories than I have on maintence. Every maintence item aside from the compressor was done by myself.

I change the oil every 5k as a preventive ($70) measure.

Yes, these trucks are costly. But IMO you can’t find another brand like it for what you get drive-wise. You want cheap maintence? Buy a cheap vehicle. Chevy perhaps? I drove a lifted Suburban for three years. Put over 130k miles on it without issues.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just happened to come across this picture (attached) today that was shared on facebook. I have not looked into the source to see if there's a bias, but it seemed on topic, so here it is;

LOL maybe because i also have a twin turbo 535xi wagon the relative difference makes me feel like the rover is just fine ;) I love this bmw though. have driven it over 120,000 miles myself on multiple WA-NC-WA trips and countless 4-6 hour weekend trip drives for skiing. It's great in winter weather especially with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/
For the worst conditions though, the lr3 is best and has studded E load Nokians on 17s. https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always viewed Rovers as the "super hot blonde bombshell that is drop dead gorgeous." They may not be the most reliable, they may need to be kicked to the curb with age, they will most likely want your wallet...but...they are fun to ride, you look better with one, you immediately feel like you have a presence with one, all your friends want one (even though they may not admit it) and by golly you may find one that is (hold your breathe) reliable .... i'd take the chance on the possibly unreliable hot blonde knowing I'd be living life to the fullest over the frumpy & bland but dependable old maid (Toyota, cough, cough) --- Life is too short to be with a basic *****. Yeah, I just said that...

***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of landroverworld.org or its members. Examples of ****** orientation, hair color and opposing vehicle brand(s) are used solely to make a point on behalf of the author. Assumptions made within the analysis are not reflective of the position of any member other than @iSurfvilano (Instagram: @NorthBeachBrian) Thank you

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of landroverworld.org or its members. Examples of ****** orientation, hair color and opposing vehicle brand(s) are used solely to make a point on behalf of the author. Assumptions made within the analysis are not reflective of the position of any member other than @iSurfvilano (Instagram: @NorthBeachBrian) Thank you

I have to disagree... I've never been stranded in any of my 5 Land Rovers, a few listed below. However, I have had my 2008 bmw 535 wagon on a flatbed at least once and countless electrical issues and one odd leveling rear air spring malfunction that required slow driving.

So, Land Rover is actually the well dressed but non-flashy woman you love to be with that only turns the heads of those that can see how cool and multi-faceted she is ;)

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat... my 2011 picked up 2 years ago has given me nothing but issues. The boat reference is a sinking ship/money pit. But I do love my LR4. I went to the stealership countless times to replace lots of things through my 3rd party extended warranty at $100 deductible each time. I replaced lower control arm, rear hatch actuator (latch), glass roof, water pump twice, transmission (60% of the cost was covered, $3k out of pocket), front diff, suspension calibration issues (dropped to bumps), and I still have an issue of having bad mpg (currently under 12 mpg) over the past 6 months. I have a whole thread on the bad mpg.

My wife wants me to sell it, but i would take a $20k loss in doing so. Considering it costing me $45k + $10k in accessories/maintenance/fixing it and the market is going for $30k (good-perfect condtion) -$5k for my now wrecked carfax suv. And on top of that I still owe on it.

So, long story short I hear ya. I'm keeping mine since I pretty much bought everything but a new engine. That might be next for a new $10k motor. :bawling:

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of our posts here are anecdotal, but I have had my Discovery for 4.5 years now and really the only faults I have had were the known water pump issue, 2 batteries, LCAs, and routine maintenance. Batteries and LCAs are wear and tear items. Water pump has a TSB and was replaced under warranty. That said, the dealer maintenance cost is exceptionally high.

Prior to this truck, I owned from new a 2006 BMW X3 and a 2012 X5. All the BMWs come standard with inclusive service for 3 - 4 years (depending on year of model). The X3 was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. In ~6 years of ownership, I only ever replaced a wheel bearing which was covered under warranty. Funny enough, I saw my old X3 on the road a couple months ago so it is still ticking along. The X5 was a V8 twin turbo beast and I had it for just over a year without issues.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72