Seeking advice on power steering + other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

VTVV

This is probably old hat for you guys (power steering leaks and failures appear pretty common), but I couldn't find it with the search function.

My brother owns a 1998 Discovery which has a power steering fluid leak. It looks like he's losing a good amount from the reservoir through the seals around the two hoses at the bottom; is it advisable to replace the hoses in an effort to create a tighter seal? Should I replace the whole reservoir while I'm in there?

What fluid should we be filling it with? He tossed in a few ounces of power steering fluid with stop-leak as a preventative measure, but I came across something stating that Dexron IID type ATF fluid should be used. Has using the wrong stuff done any damage?

Finally, he bought the vehicle used and didn't get a manual. Is there anywhere we can access that information without paying an arm and a leg?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try to fix the hoses first, and see if that does the job.

As far as fluid, I try to put in the cheap stuff since it is leaking everywhere anyways :)

Manuals can be found in the resource section of the site. Type in "manuals." If you still can't find what you are looking for, PM me.

I have a leak in my 1997 power steering box, but I am waiting to fix it. They can go forever if you continue to fill it up with fluid. For me, this is the best alternative.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
You can also get the Lucas Power Steering fix in a bottle and your local Kragen, Auto Zone, Slappys big world of automotive, etc and pour it in per directions.

It will prolong it.

In the end do what the the rest of us do and watch it, top it up everyonce in a while and be done with it.

V

VTVV

Thanks for the inputs. As far as the power steering fluid is concerned, do I want steering fluid, or the ATF suggested by the other site I found? Without an owner's manual, I don't know what is called for by Land Rover.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the resources section above, type "manuals" into the search box. This will lead you to online versions of the manuals.

FWIW, I use power steering fluid in my D1 with no problems.

Andy

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
My '96 manual says ATF, that said I buy Valvoline Syn PS fluid.

V

VTVV

Moose said:
In the resources section above, type "manuals" into the search box. This will lead you to online versions of the manuals.

FWIW, I use power steering fluid in my D1 with no problems.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear we didn't do any damage.

Unfortunately, the manuals available through that link only cover older model Land Rovers; they don't get past the Defender. At least now the one major question we had has been answered.

This leaves me with only one more -- what is the button below the radio that looks (to me) like train tracks going under a bridge? Everyone who looks at it interprets it differently, but none of their descriptions illuminate the potential function it serves.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Its actually the symbol for the Autobahn and is the cruise control button.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use ATF.

Some people had bad experience with PSS.

Manuals - check Ebay. Get Rave CD. It has copy of shop manual and owner manual (and electric manual and body manual :)). So you getting 4 in 1 (at least) plus its easy (somewhat) to use.

Could cost about 15-40$ depending on how lucky/impatient you are :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72