Series 3 won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getesse1

Reaction score
My son has an 82 series 3, 109 WB. It ran last winter until he got ahold of some bad gas, bottom of in ground tank. Ran last March and hasn't run since.
Since then we have switched to an electric fuel pump, added a new gas tank, cleaned the carb and replace the main jet. Added electronic ignition, new wires and plugs. We have fuel in the carb, spark at the plug and plenty of air. Tried this past weekend find TDC on cylinder 1, didn't feel any pressure during cranking. The new plugs ran last March and show blackist brown on and inside the tip.
Any one got any thoughts?
Thanks
George

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
moved to the Series section for better response.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a notch on the crank pulley that matches up with a pointer for TDC. Just make sure it's there when the rotor arm is pointing to the #1 plug lead.

My experience has been to only change out one thing at a time. You've changed so many things at once, it could be any of them that's the culprit.

wally.aussie

Reaction score
make sure that the valvles are opening and closeing, remove rocker cover to check and failing that the rings could be stuck in the pistons as to no compression. are ya sure that the fireing order is the right way around. should be 1,3,4,2 in a anti clockwise rotation. i have had these eng. sit for longer than that and i have had no problems with them. if the valves are stuck loosen the rocker gear and tap valve with a hammer to break loose then re-set valve timeing.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had a broken timming chain. Easiest way to tell is remove the distributor cap and crank the engine and see if the rotor is turning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi