"Service Engine Soon" Light on '00 D2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

GregS

On a trip to Tahoe this past weekend, the "Service Engine Soon" light popped on. Truck is running fine...no apparent problems. Fluid levels are all good. Before I start writing checks to the local dealer, any quick fixes I can try? Anybody else had (have) this problem?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That light will go off every 50,000 or 80,000 miles. It does not mean that anything is wrong. It is just to make you pay the dealer to take it off. You can take off the light yourself, but I am not sure if it is the same on a D1 and D2. Let me try to figure out.

G

GregS

I suspected as much. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You don't want to overlook a potentially big problem...and you don't want to take her to the dealer everytime she has a small hickup. My sense is that this isn't an indication of something big. I thought I might diconnect the battery to clear any diagnostic codes but don't know if that will only postpone the problem.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really is no problem. The "check engine" light is a problem. "Service Engine" means that you have simply put a certain amount of miles on your vehicle. I am still looking to see if it is the same on D1 and D2 to get the light off.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, DII's combined the (red) Service Engine Soon light with the (amber) Check Engine light. I'd take it to an AutoZone or other nationwide place with an OBD-II codereader and see code is thrown. Then post it here, I'm going to get the list of codes for D1 and hopefully D2 and send them to Sam.

Andy

D

discomike

Andy,
Let me know if you can't find the codes, I know Disco Web has them posted and I have seen them on a few other sites, I just can't remember where right now.

D

discomike

Check Engine Light

Morning Sam,
A D2 is not like a D1 in that it does not set itself as a service reminder. A D1 has a relay in the front pass. right kick panel that can be used to reset the reminder portion of the service light.
When A D2 light comes on it is for a reason and I would suggest that Greg S. go see his dealer especially because he is probably still covered by his warranty or may be covered by either the state orr federal emission warrantys.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're BACK!

Mike,

Thanks for setting the record straight. Too many times I assume the D1 and D2 are similar. Listen to the guys above. We have got the codes for the vehicles and are putting them up on the site soon. Email me if you need a code now.

G

GregS

I've got an appointment for Thursday to diagnose and 'clear the codes'. Was told that it could be as simple as a loose gas cap and the system not sensing the propper pressure. May go away on its own after vehicle completes a "drive cycle". We'll see...doubt it's the cap though.

D

discomike

May go away by itself but that drive cycle is fairly frequent, a couple of starts and stops driving around town will clear a code if it is not a hard code.
Good luck and get back and let us know what code # the dealer found and if he was able to cover it under warranty. Remember even if your truck is out of the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty you still have a state and federal warranty that may pick it up so ask.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA