Service Interval for low mileage LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my husband retired, we aren't driving our 2011 LR4 much any more. Our last service on the vehicle was performed at 61k miles in Sept of 2015 -- that was the 5 year 75k service. Time wise, I'm almost 5 months past due for the 6 year 90k service, but we currently only have 68k miles, so only 7k miles driven since the last service 17 months ago. Is there a risk of oil degradation over time, or am I OK? I probably shouldn't wait until I hit 15k, but how long should I go? Prior to this, I have been really good about getting maintenance service done every year.

I'm also wondering about the brake fluid flush. I had it done at the 45k service, at which time I had around 40k miles on the car. This is recommended for the 90k service. Should the brake fluid be replaced every 3 years regardless of miles driven?

Thanks in advance!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably wise to get the oil changed at least once a year and the brake fluid change is probably a good idea, but won't bust anything if you don't. Just improves operation of the braking system. The fluid absorbs water over time to some degree.

Did you have the diffs serviced at all yet?

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things do degrade with time, even when unsued. That's the magic of mositure and oxygen. We have a convertible that gets driven about 2,000 miles per year, so nothing ever seems like it NEEDS to be done. Usually when things get worn, a mechanic might say "you can get another 5,000 miles out of those brakes", meaning get them done in the next few months; well, that's 2 1/2 years for us! So, it always hard to decide what really needs done any given year.

That said, here in PA we are required to have an annual vehicle inspection, so we just get an oil change at that time every year. Being used so little, I tend to think fluids and such actually need to be serviced more proactively (no science behind that, just the way I feel about it), so we do the brakes and coolant every 3 years. Transmission fluid every 6 years. Induction cleaning every 6 years, plus I put a bottle of either Seafoam or BG 44K in each spring when we take it out of hibernation.

As mbw hinted, it is probably a good idea to change the fluid in the differentials. I think the transfer case is part of the 75k service you already had done, but you can check your receipt on that.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my (late) 2013 LR4 ~7500 miles per year. I do an oil change once year and just did a brake flush on the LR4 at 3 years and 22.5k miles.

I always cut recommended oil intervals in half. For all my prior BMW's and other cars with full synthetic which recommended 15k mile intervals, I changed the oil at 7500 miles or one year max. In my other cars, I used to do brake flushes every 2 years, but LR said 3 years for the LR4 so I did that.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses! I went ahead and made an appointment at the dealership. They quoted me $550 for the 90k service.

And I did have the differential fluid changed as part of the 75k service -- that service was around $700.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife drives her LR4 about 10 miles round trip daily. I change the oil once a year and the brake fluid every 3 years.

I drive my LR4 about 25K miles per year and change the oil every 7500 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72