Shelf Road Colorado cruise March 20th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking a cruise up Shelf Road on Saturday March 20th, then back down either Phantom Canyon or Gold Camp Road, all of which are scenic and easily traversed in stock vehicles. The route we take back will depend on what the group wants to do. There will be some time for Spur trails if anybody wants to as well. The weather is supposed to be fairly warm ,mid 50s, and partly cloudy but things can be unpredictable so prepare accordingly. I have some interest from a few people on other sites and a few friends from work so its not going to be Rovers only, although it would be nice to have a strong showing of Rovers lol.

Meeting place will be where JDs group met last time, Old World Bagel at Circle drive and Venetucci (right off of 25 by the Target store) at 0900 since that was easy for them to do.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribing. Might be able to go.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like this part of the forums gets viewed much.

J.D.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rain/snow mix on friday. Original weather report said 50 on sat but now says 35, still partly cloudy. Might come across some snow at the higher altitudes but if its bad we just take Phantom Canyon back instead of Gold Camp. Have a sense of adventure.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, I think they'd have to get 6-8" of snow, or a snow with a lot of wind up there to give us/you much trouble on gold camp. There really isn't much slope to the road, so no hill climbs to worry about, and then you drop down into town, so that's all downhill. Just something to note if the group tends to want to do gold camp.

You might consider doing Phantom on the way up as well, since I am assuming that's the one you haven't done. Then if you come back on Shelf, it's somewhat new just because you're headed the opposite way.

I told my cousin I'd help him with his Jeep this weekend if he's going to work on it. Waiting to hear back from him.

What time are you thinking about heading out from Olde World?

J.D.

Last edited:

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with the new snow the high country is supposed to get we will be up in Vail thsi weekend skiing. Sorry to miss you guys if you go! Have a great time!

BTW... One trail we have GOT to put on the list this year is Hancock Pass and Tin Cup Pass. Both are outside of Buena Vista and are spectacular! Hancock has this old steam engine turntable that the National Forest is reconstructing. Very neat to see a part of Colorado history!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RvDUB - I was in the area last August. We did Williams pass South (open ONLY in August and probably not too stock friendly) , then back over Hancock towards St. Elmo.
P1010308.jpg

Hancock pass summit:
P1010326.jpg

Hancock is a pretty rough road, so be prepared for that. I have done the St Elmo side of Tin Cup too, but a big snow drift prevented us from getting to the summit. That was 9 years ago in June. BV is a hot spot for 4x4 trails! I gotta figure out a way to find a cabin there or something.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pictures! How was the turntable at the top of Hancock? Is it almost done? I I did both these trails in a stock 4Runner and our VW Touareg w/Air Suspension. The Air Suspension on the Touareg really made a difference over the steel sprung 4Runner. Of course this was before the little one came into play ;) The rough trails are the best!

We should head down to Ouray and Telluride for some trail runs as well . Maybe a long weekend or a few days during the week! Spent the last 3 years down there wheelin for a week each summer. Planning on heading down this year but we will see!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to continue to get off topic here, but I don't recall any turntable up there.

Also, I'd love to do an Ouray run. Those trails are suited great for the LR3, but are not hard enough to warrant the effort and 6 hrs driving to take the bronco.

J.D.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on heading out of the Springs around 10. One of my friends from work wont be able to make it till then hopefully he doesnt end up running late.

I have a passenger and I really like that drive going up Shelf road, I want to give my passenger the experience of looking out the window and over the edge. Im sure ill do Phantom Canyon once or twice in the near future. I like having a flexable itinerary its all part of the adventure.

As for RvDUBs coment I have been looking at Tincup Pass and it looks like a good one. There is also a couple of trails down in the Sangre de Christo range that look really nice should try them out in the summer. Ill be overseas with the military by late summer so I want to get as much as I can in before then. Im looking at some good trail time in late May, June and July. Ill be busy running around after that and wheeling Afghanistan by September.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=113 Looks somewhat challenging but within the realm of what daily drivers can handle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV