Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You use low gear to tow?

That's a misleading question. Gearing should be chosen based on conditions. Off road crawling uphill towing, sure because it's better gearing and control if traction is of any concern.

Lower gearing is just like using a pulley for the winch allowing more work from less effort/stress on vehicle.

ProTonez

Reaction score
A. There is no such thing as a "lift kit" and the so called 'rods' are simply cheating while providing nothing truly changing the available height already designed into the system.

B. I had wider wheels than the lr4 stock 20". They were RRS SC 'Stormer' wheels with 285/50-20 and they barely fit. You can hammer/bend back the outer lip of the UCA if it does contact the tire. Nextcsize fit sure would be 275/50 and of course 275/45 but these are all geared toward the wider wheel.

C. If you want to stick with a tire that actually fits your wheel in an ideal proportion, probably that 265/50 or 275/50, you could get it flush with the fender by adding a 25mm spacer from H&R. I wouldn't recommend their 30mm as it could start to push the tire into the tight clearance spots while turning, which even the waste of money 'rod mod' doesn't really remedy. The H&R spacers are very well made. I have both sets.

Verify your wheel width and offset first. Also, do you have a full size matching spare ? If not, you can't use the temp spare if you've changed the diameter of the running tires. You should be getting a 5th wheel and matching tire for the spare.

Thanks jwest. Appreciate the response. So can I get the 275 50 without the spacers or do I need the spacers. I probably will get the spacers, however just would like to know. Are the spacers the same for the front and rear?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you should stick to same front and rear just like the wheel widths and I think track as well. True off road vehicles I think usually have equal track widths so the tires folloiw in same path naturally.

You really should first identify the wheel width you have first. The 5mm difference could be meaningful at the fender edge, but again, I'd expect 25mm to be more than enough with less reduction in turning clearances.

On the 275, all I can say is the 285/50-20 did 'fit' but only on my 2006 Lr3 oddly. It rubbed in an unacceptable amount on the 2007. So, I'd bet you a case of domestic micro-brew that the 275/50-20 would have zero issues. Adding a spacer could actually introduce turning rubbing though so keep that in mind.

ProTonez

Reaction score
Yes you should stick to same front and rear just like the wheel widths and I think track as well. True off road vehicles I think usually have equal track widths so the tires folloiw in same path naturally.

You really should first identify the wheel width you have first. The 5mm difference could be meaningful at the fender edge, but again, I'd expect 25mm to be more than enough with less reduction in turning clearances.

On the 275, all I can say is the 285/50-20 did 'fit' but only on my 2006 Lr3 oddly. It rubbed in an unacceptable amount on the 2007. So, I'd bet you a case of domestic micro-brew that the 275/50-20 would have zero issues. Adding a spacer could actually introduce turning rubbing though so keep that in mind.

Awesome. I'll take that bet and would be happy to pay up! Appreciate the assistance!

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just purchased this LR4 that will be replacing my FJ Cruiser. Really looking forward to making a road trip out west in this beast and putting it through the paces!

f8pJOeJ.jpg

aRrEGoq.jpg

RGV5Evm.jpg
I really like that factory rack. If you ever decide to get a new one I'll buy that off you

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest @backcountryLR4 so speaking of towing.... I'm looking for a tow/recovery rope. I do most my driving in deep sand and have a set of recovery treads but want a rope, probably a kinetic...any suggestions on a brand? I was looking at bubbarope.com

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest @backcountryLR4 so speaking of towing.... I'm looking for a tow/recovery rope. I do most my driving in deep sand and have a set of recovery treads but want a rope, probably a kinetic...any suggestions on a brand? I was looking at bubbarope.com

I bought an ARB recovery strap and tried to return it for a Bubba rope but was too late. I wish I got the bubba rope...

I did get two of their gator jaw soft shackles. I used them once for that tow and worked great.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

"Ok off road" has a ton of stuff that you don't see on Atlantic British, etc. try lucky8 also I like what Expedition Exchange sources too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA