Slider Comparison; anyone used either of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to install some rock sliders, but I admit its more for the nerf step and looks than it is off-roading. So while I don't need anything bulletproof, the protection will be nice for the little rock driving I'd do.

For the LR4 I was looking at either one of these (links below);
Voyager Offroad Slider with Step , scroll down ($1099 + shipping) or
Terrafirma TF818 Rock Sliders with Tree Bars ($1064, free shipping)

I found an old thread here complaining about Voyager sliders rusting out (just one thread) and I found multiple conversations from 2012/2013 regarding the Terrafirmas being a pain to install because the holes don't line up. However, there was a product update in 2016 so perhaps that was resolved. Either way, I'll have my mechanic install them.

Both are powder coated steel and look to offer similar protection and step size.
The Voyagers appear to have FOUR cross tubes coming out to support the nerf and the Terrafirmas have only TWO. That would lead me to believe the Voyagers will provide better protection without bending and be distributing any hits over 6 points of contact vs. 4. (cross bars + ends)
Doesn't look like either offers air tank protection, which I'm okay with. I do a lot of beach driving and anything that holds sand, becomes a rust problem... Even though I rinse.

Curious if anyone here has either slider installed or has an opinion?

I think the Terrafirma's will come in about $200 cheaper after sale price offered and free shipping.
I think the Voyager is likely a better bar and I'd be buying from the U.S. manufacturer direct.

VOYAGER - (better pic HERE )
DSC_0055%20(2)%20(NXPowerLite).JPG

TERRAFIRMA - (couldn't find any good vehicle mounted photos)
TF818_LARGE.jpg

Last edited:

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I'll be getting the Voyager sliders, and have my powder-coater give them a nice, thick coat. I've heard that the coat on them is pretty thin, so rock chips and small scrapes cause them to accumulate surface rust over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you offroad, you will need to get something above and beyond either of these options to protect the air compressor.

The Terrafirma sliders are aluminum. While light, they reportedly don't hold up to much abuse. The Overland Journal LR4 used these sliders. Here is the "build" thread: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-Journal-Project-Land-Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)

Either Tactical 4x4 or Proud Rhino sliders include plates that cover the compressor. The drawback is weight.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor itself sits relatively high up, but the plastic shield is mainly prone to damage. I've seen two beat up LR3s with mangled plastic compressor shields that work perfectly. I think the Tactical setup is pretty overkill, unless you're doing some serious crawling up rock shelves and battering the undercarriage frequently. Learning how and where to place the vehicle on technical sections is more valuable, IMO...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you offroad, you will need to get something above and beyond either of these options to protect the air compressor.

The Terrafirma sliders are aluminum. While light, they reportedly don't hold up to much abuse. The Overland Journal LR4 used these sliders. Here is the "build" thread: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...-Journal-Project-Land-Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)

Either Tactical 4x4 or Proud Rhino sliders include plates that cover the compressor. The drawback is weight.
I spoke to Lucky8 and Terrafirma switched to steel in the last revision. It's noted in the description I linked. But you are correct, it used to be aluminum. I didn't see the discussion in your link, maybe it's buried in the video I didn't watch or later in that thread.

Thanks for the Proud Rhino link. Those are pretty much the same price of the Voyagers (after shipping) so I'll see if I can find more details on those. Lucky8 doesn't show any undercarriage photos in the link.

I do not plan on doing serious off-roading. I'm not adding any other under-vehicle plates other than what is already on the vehicle, so if I puncture my air tank, I have bigger decision making problems. :D

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor itself sits relatively high up, but the plastic shield is mainly prone to damage. I've seen two beat up LR3s with mangled plastic compressor shields that work perfectly. I think the Tactical setup is pretty overkill, unless you're doing some serious crawling up rock shelves and battering the undercarriage frequently. Learning how and where to place the vehicle on technical sections is more valuable, IMO...

The AMK compressor (LR4) sits lower than the Hitachi (LR3), though, doesn't it?

But you are right in that I haven't ever seen anyone talk about damaging their compressor, although I am sure it's possible.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got the Voyager sliders a few years ago and I really like the design overall. The round bars are really nice and they have some pretty decent coverage without being as heavy as the other options. They are very strong and certainly can be used as real sliders.

I did have rust form on mine, but I sent them back to voyager and they totally stripped and re-zinc coated them and powder coated them for me without charge. Whatever they did this time worked much better. I just checked mine and they have a little bit of edge rust but are in good shape. I usually just touch them up with a little paint. I assume that most steel sliders will rust a little, just like the rest of the vehicle.

Fitment on them is perfect and it is pretty easy to install them with a floor jack.

I am mixed on the tactical 4x4 sliders.. i know they must weigh more and I don't like the square look quite as much, but I think I would be willing to try them out. I'd like to get the matching T4x4 rear bumper and it has a square step thing on it.. so that would match better.

If anyone is interested in buying mine I would be willing to sell them. They DO ship via UPS (two 'packages'). Just PM me if interested. Forum members would get a fair price.

This picture is of them when they were new. (note, they also bolt along the door sill, so more than just the 6 or whatever on the bottom.)

935679_10101167405641700_1682266378_n_zps8c3a0b49.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got the Voyager sliders a few years ago and I really like the design overall...I did have rust form on mine, but I sent them back to voyager and they totally stripped and re-zinc coated them and powder coated them for me without charge...
That's very nice of them.

I called and had a long conversation with the guy last week, about racks and sliders. At the time, he told me they zinc coat and then powder coat the racks, but the sliders are just powder coated. So, clearly that made a difference when he re-did them for you.

EDIT - my comment above is incorrect. They hit them with a zinc primer and then two layers of powder coat.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's very nice of them.

I called and had a long conversation with the guy last week, about racks and sliders. At the time, he told me they zinc coat and then powder coat the racks, but the sliders are just powder coated. So, clearly that made a difference when he re-did them for you.

Interesting.. so mine or special zinc edition sliders. Let me know if you are interested in mine.

edit: I found the shipping receipt. From Iowa to Florida it was $172 for UPS. So not bad, way easier than freight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV