Sold the LR3...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...well, it was definitely with a bit of sadness that I drove away from my 2005 ride last night after selling it. I'd driven that thing for just about every mile between 43 and 230,000. Never left me stranded. Sure, it locked all my gear in the back a couple times when the hatch failed, and once I had to limp off a soft sand beach at access height due to a sensor error, but all those things were flushed out while it was still under warranty.

The darn thing started and ran just as reliably at mile 230,000 as it did at 43. Never had a vehicle run that well for that long. It was time to move on though, little interior parts failures will building up (latches, switches and seat motors) and even though it ran great, at the high mileage I wasn't feeling as confident for long family road trips. Didn't want to get stuck out hundreds of miles from a dealership with Cleetus scratching his head in his overalls making guesses on how to fix it. :)

The new owner will likely never use any of the great off-road features. They just liked the look of the LR3. I slightly regret not selling it to a mechanic friend who would've put it through it's paces and maintain it knowledgeably, but his offer was $1200 less. Not going to lie, though... you grow so attached to a vehicle I kind of wanted it to spend it's last years on a trail. Sounds odd, right?

In any event, thanks for all the support over the years. This forum has been great. I'll still check-in here but will spend most of my time at the next forum up... bought a 2013 LR4. Hope it is just as reliable for me as was the LR3. :hello:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got a lot out of that 3. You will love the 4 as it built upon the 3 and improved most things. That being said there are things I prefer about the 3. The slower steering ratio seems more suited to the chassis, the tail lights (and general appearance) and the cup holder and centre console design.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your contributions to our little community here, Todd. 230,000 Miles, that's really amazing. It's nice to hear that....I plan on keeping mine forever, letting my kids fight over it when I'm dead.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your contributions to our little community here, Todd. 230,000 Miles, that's really amazing. It's nice to hear that....I plan on keeping mine forever, letting my kids fight over it when I'm dead.
If I had a bigger driveway or more garage space, I would've kept it as well! It'd be nice to have for situations where you cared a little less about care, but still wanted all the functionality.
You got a lot out of that 3. You will love the 4 as it built upon the 3 and improved most things. That being said there are things I prefer about the 3. The slower steering ratio seems more suited to the chassis, the tail lights (and general appearance) and the cup holder and centre console design.
Thanks. I'd agree with your assessment thus far. I hadn't thought about the steering ratio but noticed something different, and I'd agree with you. I was surprised how much storage space disappeared between the 3 and the 4. Just a little bit, but it was taken from all cubbies and holders in a car that already was suffering from lack of "closet space." So I definitely noticed that. Overall, though, plenty of great upgrades.

I'm hoping the guys that move on to the new Discovery give LR enough feedback that if/when I buy one of those it has evolved a bit to appeal more to the LR3/4 market.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Todd...now where the hell will you put a 2nd battery ?! .... Hey, good for you though. I'll make sure to troll your new threads ;)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Todd...now where the hell will you put a 2nd battery ?! .... Hey, good for you though. I'll make sure to troll your new threads ;)
LOL... the thought has crossed my mind. :hmpf:

I tried playing the stereo in the LR4 with the engine off, accessory on. It doesn't play for very long before it shuts itself off, I supposed due to battery voltage monitoring. Could be the battery quality of course.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4 has 2 battery trays.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Where? Theres definitely less space than LR3 but unless yours is not NAS, only one large battery space is in there.
Very curious, please explain rather than just say it does.

The _Just

Reaction score
2013 LR4 Lux HD Vision NL dual battery S-pod
34985dc40a73c2d510c4e07164aee0b0.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well dang, I'm happily very wrong on that. My fault for listening to so many lr4 people years ago.

So, why the hell were all the lr4 newbies crying about that? Did that area get squeezed with the v6 models?

My air compressor is where your driver side air enters. It's tighter but not as bad as I thought.

I'm gonna look in the v6 next time I'm at the dealer cause now I'm curious why I heard so much about no space there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA