Speakers/stereo issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bencoop84

Reaction score
Same issues

I have had the same issues posted here with my 2010 LR4.

1. Hissing speakers: After 2 years the dealer finally replaced my amplifier which solved the loud hissing coming from the driver side passenger door. That speaker also didn't play any music. However, now the speakers from all doors emit a low hissing noise at all times when music isn't playing. I can here it as I am in my late 20's, but others sometimes can't. After 2 years I am nearly ready to sell the truck and get a Toyota because I just can't stand it anymore.

2. Dash Vibration: The dealer just told me they thought it was the sunglasses in my glove box...really?!

Anyone ever do lemon law because of a radio emitting such a grating noise you just can't handle it?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 1.5 week of ownership of this awesome CPO LR4 I get my first stereo issue.
Turn engine on... No sound (or actually kind of a very low scratching sound).
Turned the engine off and back on... Nothing. One more time nothing.
Decided to leave it off for a while, went to beerworks, grabbed a beer and came back 1 hour later.
Turn the engine on and everything was back to normal.
Gotta love the quirks of a Land Rover ;)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if something goes wrong with the electronics when you first start the car (including the infotainment system components), you need to wait several minutes before recycling the ignition to see if the problem clears - after you turn off the engine the electronic modules stay awake for at least a couple of minutes, and some of them for several minutes longer, before fully shutting down. Think of them as a bunch of outdated Windows computers with bloated software installed. :smile:

Actually, although it could be just a one-time gremlin, an infotainment system acting funny when the engine is started could be a very early sign that your battery is about to buy the farm, so if the problem reoccurs you should get it, and the alternator, checked.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Umberto.
I will keep the battery issue in mind and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

Reno LR

Reaction score
My vibration comes from on top of the dash, near the windshield, somewhere near the center. It sounds exactly like the plastic cover on that center speaker is loose and is vibrating against a plastic bottom. But I have tried holding that plastic speaker cover down and it seems very solid, holding it makes no difference. It might be a part vibrating underneath that cover but I have not tried taking it apart.

I do not have any vibration noise from the left or right side - it is definitely near the center speaker cover (I assume it is a speaker under there).

Happens only when it is cold. And only happens when revving the engine up above maybe 2000 rpm? Not a big issue, just doesn't sound like a $60k+ vehicle when you have a noisy vibration when you accelerate.

I have the exact same sound in the same place but I only hear it when the car is cold and I go over any size bump. It sounds to me like a shaking zipper.

Reno LR

Reaction score
Was anyone able to find the cause of the rattle? It is really a shame that the experience of driving such a great vehicle is clouded by this annoying sound.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, although it could be just a one-time gremlin, an infotainment system acting funny when the engine is started could be a very early sign that your battery is about to buy the farm, so if the problem reoccurs you should get it, and the alternator, checked.

So, we went off-roading last Sunday in beautiful Maine... Stop the truck on the way to the off-road park to grab some hot tea in a coffee shop about half hour away from our destination... Get back in it... Start the engine... No radio...
And then I think about what you said, Umberto, radio issues could mean low battery... Get to the park, turn off the engine and go for a short walk to give it time to reset. Engine turns on and radio is back on. Sigh of relief.
Had fun most of the day and drove back home.

Yesterday morning around 745am on my way to work (not really, I start at 1130am), I get in the truck, try to turn it on... NOTHING... Try and try again, still nothing.
Decided to call roadside assistance (after all there's a reason we pay all this money), an hour later they're here and jump the truck... I take it to the dealership (hour drive), get a 2006 LR3 V6 as a loaner!!! So little power so much weight... Makes no sense!
I get a call in the afternoon, they had to replace the battery and they updated the radio (LTB00299). Truck is ready.

Finally got it back, so happy with the LR4 V8 and always kept in mind the battery issue since the first radio problem - never turned off the engine when going off-road. Thank you Umberto!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 29

NewRover2008

Reaction score
My stereo did not work this morning... or rather the speakers. No matter which input I selected (CD, radio, aux etc) no sound. If I cranked up the volume, I can hear a hiss. Also tried the bluetooth phone -- no sound from that either.

Stopped at the bank, restarted the car, still no sound. Stopped at the gas station, restarted the car, stereo worked fine again.

Just curious who all has had this problem, and was the dealer able to fix it.

just had same problem. I have 2009 LR3 though. shut car off maybe a minute and re-start and no volume on Cd or radio. the presets wouldn't even work sometimes. shut car off and on couple more times and still no volume. ill let it "rest" and see if it re-sets and works. will take to dealer and see what they say if keeps happening.

so did everyone figure its an update it needs, or a module disconnection or could be a number of things?

thanks

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same issue a few times but it works fine after restarting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA