SRS, ABS and check engine lights '96

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The sensor is more a wire issue, it is the steering column. Also I would spend the $50 and have a Rover mechanic just plug in real fast to tell you the issue. It may just need the SRS light reset.

As far at the Service Engine light, that could be anything and you need to check the codes...

The ABS light well not sure how they handle it where you are, but in Ohio thankfully we don't have instpections, I pulled the 30 AMP fuse under the dash for ABS and pulled the light out of the dash on my '97 drove it that way for 10 years before I had to put the old beast down.

Reaction score
SRS, inspection expired 12/15

Thank you Joey,

We have had several scanners (at least 5) plugged in and the car does not communicate with the scanners. That's what the mechanics say anyway.

I am pretty much only concerned with the SRS light, now. It is the only thing keeping me from getting an inspection. In Virginia, the inspectors watch to see if the lights go on before they start the car. So it is hard to trick them. Can you think of another way? A timed relay somewhere perhaps?

We have had the airbag off and the wires looked fine. We have even replaced the airbag and the wires with one bought on ebay. We haven't checked the seatbelt wires though, and that is next on the list.

Is there anything else we can do without computer connections? Can you think of anything else? And just wondering, what were you looking for in the dash picture?

Again, Thanks.

Andria

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say the dealership sadly unless you have an aftermarket land rover tech somewhere near you.. you need the land rover specific computer to talk to the system.

TestPoint

Reaction score
Well, the Discovery got better all on its own after a week's worth of driving. ABS and CEL cleared. SRS still on.

evansjoem

Reaction score
Clock spring may be broke. Does ur cruise control work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
No cruise control

No, my cruise control hasn't worked for awhile. We have replaced the rotary coupler but with a used one. It didn't help. Went to a mechanic with a scanner, he turned off the light(well reset it) but it came back on the next day. We are still trying to get the light off. Any other ideas?

evansjoem

Reaction score
Does your horn work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binkwink

Reaction score
I'll mention I just fixed my SRS light by have the ECM reset by a local Land Rover repair guy. Cost $55 for his time and Scanner. 100 miles later it's still not on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72