strange things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You clean the MAF with Non-Residue contact cleaner.

rob28

Reaction score
did that, now idle is whacked
how old are you?
I got the disc
sounds familiar

need to bail for some helo training
ps
non residual contact cleaner made my rover get worse, idle wise
MAF
lets type
plug 4
matches the code
dark and bad
but
big spark
coil is ok
swaped wires
4 coils 8 cylinders
new speed sensor
vss
swaped=swapped
sorry
any chevy conversion kits?
been reading
96 disco is an adventure

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Rob28, you have an interesting way of typing a post... makes me read (bad). LOL.

Anyways for the record I am 36 yo, I have been working on cars since I was 10 with my Dad. Started buying any selling cars at age 15. Seen my first Rover at age 20 an old Series vehicle, this doesn't count any TV shows. Fell in love with the Disco in 1994 when they hit the USA. Been researching discos for the last 6 years, have owned mine for the last 4 years (in May 07 it will be 4 years) I do 90% of my own work on my Disco.

If cleaning the MAF with the contact cleaner made things worse, then the MAF is probably BAD.

If it were my Disco I would start by recleaning the MAF sensor. Seeing as it is a 1993 I would be guessing here, but I would clean the entire intake and all related Sensors (i.e. any fuel or idle adjusting sensors) Replace the plugs and I might even go as far as checking the fuel pressure. If fuel injected (not sure on the 1993) I would look into testing the fuel injectors, if not I would rebuild the carb.

Start at the cheap stuff and work toward expensive...

But if as you state you have a plug that is dark in color, then could be a bad valve or worse a cylinder going bad.

Hope this helps.

rob28

Reaction score
sorry about the 1993 thing, my bad from the start, 1996 disco 4.0 se7 5spd,
any way, P1316, P0304, and P1314 codes still there, I posted all I have done to it so far, sea foam, plugs, wires, #4 injector, regulator, VSS, now I have a coil pack and a MAF coming, I think I would rather work on helicopters :) but one way or another, I'll get this right, it is a nice rig

rob28

Reaction score
ps
I live on an island, nothing but mail order, and, would a bad cylinder or valve still give me codes?
it runs fine below about 2500rpm in 1rst through 3rd, no smoke, always starts

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you had a bad valve or bad cylinder, it should show it self no matter what after it is warm.

I would check the fuel pressure, it could be the fuel pump not working up to par (you have changed the fuel filter haven't you?)

rob28

Reaction score
still in texas, when I get back to the rock, I should have a coil pack, MAF, knock sensors and a six pack of beer, we'll see

rob28

Reaction score
so the score stands
maf, coil pack, vss, injector #4, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, sea foam, a lot, one in the tank, one in the block, and one injested intake wise, plenum
lots of cash
my rover now idles at 3000 rpm
yes
new idle
idle air control will be here on the 12th
cam position sensor is here
along with crank position sensor
knock sensors are back ordered
funny
oh I forgot the pcv overhaul kit I got too
***?

Members online