Stuck CDL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my console all apart and have access to the CDL shifter. I've sprayed wd-40 in attempts to get the shifter to free up and shift to the lock position. Still no luck. I've always been able to shift to neutral and to low range but I still can't get the shifter to move towards the left side to lock it.

Anyone have any quick suggestions to get it to free up? I need to get this done today and I'll be bummed to have to give up and leave it.

Everytime I try to shift it to lock, it feels like the shifter is going to bend or break. I can't keep all of this apart sitting in my parent's driveway, going on three days now, and I don't want to put it back to gether until it's working properly.

BTW, I've been using this as a guide. http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/rover/discodifflock.htm

TIA
Mike

Last edited:
D

discomike

Mike,
All I can tell you is to keep soaking all the linkage points from the top and bottom, don't force it or you will bend one of the linkage arms and then you will be in trouble.
Hang in there, it will free up.
By the way, are you sure it is the linkage, which is the normal problem, have you tried shifting it while rolling??
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Mike, it shifts into neutral and low when slightly rolling. However, I can't get the lever to shift into the lock position, moving the shift lever towards the driver.

I'm about to call it quits as I've gone through about 1 1/2 cans of spray lube. I hate to call the dealer and have them fix it but its getting to that point.

BTW, I've been spraying the linkage for two days. Does the transmission have to be in N for the CDL to shift? I wouldn't think so but not sure? Anyother suggestions?

At least I was able to get the a/c plugs clean so I shouldn't have any more wet passenger floor.

D

discomike

Mike,
Yes the transmission has to be in neutral to take the load off the t/case gears and allow it to be shifted.
Go ty and get back to me.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Monty : Hey I have a ?? about the wet floor board. Mine is wet as well ( 1998 D1 75K miles) .. How did you clean it (a/c) ? Or get the A/C to not leak on the floor board.. I added some Freon thinking that maybe the lines were freezing up but that is not the case. Thanks for your help.
Melissa

D

discomike

Melissa,
Tell me you didn't add freon, thinking it would make the moisture go away. Hey but then again, you haven't missed on too many things in the past so maybe we can just let this one go.
If you are getting water on the carpet, and it isn't coolant, than you most likely have a plugged up Evap. drain line. Usually the best place to see it from is from under the truck, usually they will be draining onto the ground but will plug up with dust and spill onto the carpet. Blow out the drain lines and the water problem will go away.
I am concerned about that extra freon you dumped into your system. If you didn't use a set of guages, you could have overfilled the chare and can blow out some seals or the internal reed valves in the compressor.
Hey, it is always good to hear from you, keep up the good work.
Take care,
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. The standard gauges that I had for my old car (Jeep) in typical LR fashion did not fit the Disco. And they were like 80.00 so I opted out on buying them. Its not coolant I am for sure ( I tasted it and then used a paper towel to soak it up --No green just water.. And I am still alive. Maybe the LR fluids that I have been ingesting are directly correlated to the bad dreams? Hmm......) Mike I can seem to find the drain plugs for the a/c ? I looked but no luck ??

D

discomike

Melissa,
Well now that I have stopped laughing about your tasting the liquid I will try to answer your question. Mine is a D2 so the placement may be a little different than yours but if you crawl in from behind the passanger front tire, looking up towards the floor area near the t/case, more on the passanger side, you should see it. When mine drips, it falls from that area down onto the rear portion of the front drive shaft than to the ground.
Where are the cameras when you need one, that would have been a great shot, of you tasting the fluid on the carpet, to put into our gallery.
Just kidding, I think.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, there are two rubber drain plugs, one on each side of the transmission. Just like Mike said, they come through the floorboard near the front of the transmission, just above the round transmission crossmember.

Take a flashlight with you b/c they're hard to see. I pulled each rubber plug and there was a lot of crud in there. I cleaned them out and took an old coat hanger and proded the holes where I pulled the plugs. Nothing else came out except what was in the plugs themselves and I hope that fixes the wet floorboards.

On a serious note Melissa, I wouldn't reccomend tasting unknown fluids or substances. You don't know what the substance is, you don't want to put that into your body.

As for the CDL, I called my local dealer and they said it would take about 2 hrs of time to fix @ $100 an hour, so $200. The guy also said that usually, the linkage gets stuck, preventing the shift to low range.

At this point, I'd rather not pay $200 but I'm stumped so I guess I don't have much choice. I'll get back at it and give it one more try before I bite the $200 bullet.

Last edited:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks Monty.. I appreciate the advice and help.. As far as the substance tasting goes its the only way I can tell what and where the LR is leaking.... :help:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV