Stuck CDL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa,
I'll have to check in on the site occassionally, although my rover is not quite off road ready. I need new tires, I have enough tread to get me through the year and then some but not enough to take it off road with any confidence. Plus I have a little babyrino on the way. Shes due Aug 15th so I will prob have some additional responsibilities. Should I send you a cigar? Mark

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
No thanks Mark. I do not smoke. Ahhh Kids.... Fun Fun. They are not in my plans for at least 15 more years. Good Luck and many congrads.
Best, Melissa

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the light is on but I think its b/c the lever is bent. So, back to the old drawing board for me.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa-can tou help me W/the taste difference between my P.S. fluid and my ATF? Thanks in advance (My atf seems to have a much greater "Rose' Boquet"

D

discomike

Melissaa,
See what you have started, so I suppose the next edition of this story is the tasting of fluids to determine if it is time to change them???
I didn't realize that you Texan bred, Okey educated had such abilities.
Mike J.

D

discomike

Hey we are always nice to the lady, what we we do with out you.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update. I finally had some time to work on this today and I pulled the entire shift assembly out this time. Now that I have it out, I noticed that the shift lever will barely move towards the left, driver. Shouldn't the lever move about an inch or more when working properly? I'm wondering if I need a rebuild of the assembly or a new one all together if no rebuilds are available.

BTW, I think the diff was locked this entire time, which can't be good for the drivetrain. :ahhhhh:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Monty, if the CDL was stuck in the "On" position for very long, you would know it, it would tear something up real fast when you made a turn on pavement.

It still sounds like the CDL lever is frozen (rusted) refer to my post #12 above and if may help with this issue. It is how I fixed my stuck CDL lever on my '97 Disco.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Joey, I tried that for a while and it didn't seem to be improving. I'll try it again when I get more time. I'm getting proficient at taking the linkage and console apart.

I'm positive the CDL was engaged for the last two weeks. It was kinda weird how it happened. After I had to button things up the first time, two or so weeks ago, the diff lock light came on while the wife was driving it in a parking lot. She called and told me about it and said that it didn't feel any different. Believing that I had bent the shifter rod, which has been known to trigger the sensor indicating the diff lock was engaged, I told her that it was alright to go ahead and drive home.

Recently I drove it and noticed that the tires were chirping when making tight turns. I thought, oh crap, the diff somehow engaged. I finally got some free time today to have a look at it. I disengaged it and the CDL light is off and I can tell the difference big time. I'm just fortunate that something didn't explode under the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72