Stupid Question but need answer! - How to aim halogen headlamp assembly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the cheaper halogen headlamp assembly on my LR3. I have upfitted them with HID bulbs, but I need to adjust the beam downward a bit when I am heavily loaded for a camping trip. I can't figure out how to adjust them!

The manual is silent on it, and I've spent some time looking around and nothing seems like an obvious adjustment screw.

There is a geared capscrew on the back of the headlamp housing, with a perfect vertical access for a philips screwdriver that easily turns the geared capscrew, but it does not seem to actually adjust anything...

My buddy at a local dealer said that the geared capscrew was NOT the adjustment screw, but he only had Xeon equipped LR3s in the shop and they are different so couldn't give me any more info on how to do it.

Anyone else have a clue? Heading out tonight on a long distance run, heavily loaded, and need to tame these HID's!

Photos (cheese cell phone images, sorry!):
Headlight-Photo1.gif

Headlight-Photo2.gif

Headlight-Photo3.gif

Headlight-Photo3.gif

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if all bi-Xenon equipped LR3s are self-leveling or just the adaptive version...but there may not be an adjustment screw at all.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't notice a self levelling feature in ours (an '06 SE), but I'll try to look a bit more closely tonight when I turn it on - I assumed that the suspension self levelling help adjust for the aiming of the headlights. My '01 BMW is very noticeable - each time you turn the headlights on there is a very definite dip and return of the beam.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the SE only have a non-adaptive option. Mine can not move.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good question nwoods. i just recently had all that stuff apart installing your recommended for swap to the HID's and i too didn't see **** for adjusting the light housing.

side note nwoods: i guess your ballasts are larger than mine since you had to mount them outside the headlamp... so do you know if size matters when i comes to the ballasts? i notice my slim ballast HID kit takes about 1-2 min's to finally get the light fully bright.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the OEM xenon headlamps generally (depends on model number I do believe) should come with a dip switch to adjust the light position in cases like this. It sets the light beam higher or lower.. I can't speak for any after market solutions though. :( Sorry

And actually a pretty good question!

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iPhone tapping, will b brief. Not xeon, but halogen lamp housing. My big ballasts seem to work much faster than yours. There is a flicker when first turned on, then after 5 seconds or so they seem to reach full illumination brightness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72