Sudden Acceleration While Parking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwaggy

Reaction score
I've also noticed what seems like some strange throttle mapping or throttle issues with my new LR3. Sometimes I'll nearly give myself whiplash giving it just a little bit of throttle. If I put it in park and play with the gas pedal it's sometimes difficult to get a smooth increase in RPMs, it tends to want to jump up at a certain point, or alternatively won't go anywhere till I mash it and then it stays revved beyond letting go of the gas.

This may also be related to what I think is a dirty throttle body/dirty MAF that I have on my list to clean (getting some stumble on cold starts). The OP also noted that their foot was on the brake the whole time, so may not be related.

Clean your throttle body. I just did and it solved the oddest idle and acceleration issues I was having. I also reset the engine adaptation using my GAP IID tool, if you have one certainly do that too.

schwaggy

Reaction score
Does that "reset" it to the baseline "new" status?

From the IID user manual:

"3.6.3 Engine ECU
Note: For the service reminder reset routine, see the Instrument Pack ECU.
Clear Adaption Values (petrol engine only, L322-06, L322-10, L319)
This routine resets the adaption statistics back to factory default. In other words, after the engine adaptations are cleared, the engine ECU will have to «learn» the different sensors behaviors and compensate accordingly."

For those without a GAP IID tool, I recommend downloading the user manual if you have questions about its capabilities.
http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/documents/IIDTool/

2005 LR3 SE V8

Reaction score
My 2005 LR3 was experiencing those exact symptoms, I would take off from a full or rolling stop and it would seem like the transmission is slamming gears. Then one time I was driving and tried to accelerate and nothing happened, even with the pedal to the floor. So I took it to a certified British automotive service center and they initially said it would be a rebuilt tranny...($4500.00). Then further investigating found that I only had 13.2 volts coming from the alternator and a thermostat and heating sensor issue too. So after $850.00 later, the beast runs like a champ. The tech said that they are really sensitive to voltage, not enough and they can do weird things and the heat sensor and thermostat was also an issue. He said that if the vehicle didn't know if it was hot or cold it didn't how to adjust itself. Hope this helps, good luck and God Bless!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you got rung up....

What did the mechanic change for $850? Your symptoms sound different to me. They sound more like the infamous "California Stop Bug" than an acceleration while trying to park. They sound a little bit like djkronik57's issue though. The 13.2 volts is low if you are talking about "charging voltage" like when the engine is running...but not so low that it would lead to ECUs going crazy and affecting performance. A thermostat usually affects idle more than anything and can trigger a CEL too.

The stories on these message boards are so all over the map. I wish sometimes that I could meet with posters and see these things for myself and try different solutions/tricks. We all might learn new things.

Last edited:

2005 LR3 SE V8

Reaction score
@HOUM_WA, not really all over the board, my LR3 would accelerate when I came to a stop or even when I took off. This I believed was the transmission but after I took it to the shop, the tech explained that the low voltage would cause something in the computer to go haywire? So he changed the alternator, then he said that the temp sensor also affected it. All I know at the end of the day is I am about $3700.00 richer because he didn't have to rebuild the transmission... which he easily could have replaced it and then said he needs to change the other parts. And it runs great, didn't have one issue driving from San Diego to Everett, WA. But now I have an issue with it not starting, I think its the starter which I am replacing this weekend. And its about time for these parts to go anyway, its a 2005 with about 100,000 miles.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to just your story being all over the board. I guess I mean several in this thread and more generically on this message board. So...did your LR3 do this ONE time? Or like, every time you came to a stop it would accelerate? And was it a surge or what? ...and I thought you said it would slam into gears? I thought you said you pressed the gas and it did nothing. Can you see why I'm a little confused? I'm also a bit confused as to how changing an alternator and/or thermostat would impact how the throttle or transmission performed.

So what I mean is, sometimes I wish I could get in these poster's trucks and say "show me" or at least experience it for myself because maybe the description of the symptoms is utterly confusing or maybe the story is bull$hit or maybe it's user error.

Twinmomplus1

Reaction score
Update on LR3 Sudden Acceleration

Hi again,

I promised an update since my 9/15 post.

Well, I've done everything I could to alert the proper authorities to the frightening experience regarding the sudden and unexpected acceleration of my 2006 LR3 while stopped and attempting to put into park last September.

Once my insurance company Liberty Mutual decided to total the car, and we took the payout, I decided to take an additional step to save a life. I asked my insurance company to hold onto the car pending an accident investigation. Despite numerous tries by me and insurance, Land Rover/Jaguar of North America was uninterested in viewing the car (which was stored in secure lot at LM's expense for four months!!!) to determine the cause of mechanical failure. Last response from Land Rover was that their lawyers advised against any action.

The good folks at my insurance company told me that Land Rover took this course because any potential lawsuit would be thrown out of court given the age of the car, and the fact that it would be impossible to tell who would be liable in the case of real mechanical failure.

I followed up with NHTSA by phone and mail (spent $32 to send a packet of background info). Received form letter saying that their engineers cannot look into every case because of the large number of complaints they receive. Given that Land Rovers are not a huge market, I am doubtful that my case (which I'm occasionally following online) will go any further.

On a positive note, I was able to get a signed letter form the body shop recently stating that their mechanic experienced what I did. I'm going to send this to my insurance company and NHTSA. Today, I'm mailing an appeal to my state Division of Insurance regarding the removal of the surcharge now placed on my record. Despite my being stopped, the car damaged the building I hit in the amount of $52,000. I'm hoping the body shop's letter and the filing of my case with NHTSA will demonstrate that I'm not responsible for the crash.

For those who think that I may have had my foot on the accelerator rather than the brake, I want to state for the record that this was not the case. First off, the pedals are spread way far apart, with the acceleration on a different plane from the very large brake pedal. And I had driven that car for over 8.5 years and had made three previous stops immediately prior to the accident. After having 30 years of accident-free driving, I can assure you that it was not "driver" negligence.

I wish everyone the best with their Land Rovers. I miss mine, and wish the accident had never occurred. However, given that I live and park near open water, I am truly grateful that my brakes did not give out when I was trying to park down by our town's pier. I would have died in that car had it jumped the curb, and the thought that I was spared that very real possibility, gives me tremendous comfort.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd dismissed this whole thread as BS. I'm going to be blunt, I just don't buy it. Mostly because I've followed so many threads over ~11 years and not once have I heard something like this. You must have photos of the damage? What is your Case # with the NHTSA? I suppose it could've been a one-off incident with just your LR3, but...it just seems outlandish to me. It also doesn't sound like something JLA would ignore.

You don't need to convince me, of course, but if you can't...there's no way your case will make any progress. So...go on, substantiate it.

Twinmomplus1

Reaction score
My final post on this topic as I am now a "past" Land Rover owner. Well, I did go before the insurance board, and thanks to my due diligence and substantial documentation (including a supporting letter from the body shop confirming their own experience with my LR3 launching while they drove it), I was able to reverse the surcharge applied to my record for my accident (total payout by Liberty Mutual on my behalf was $82K!). Case closed. Best of luck to all of you. I hope that no one experiences what I did. And by the way, no updates from NHTSA on any further investigation. They've got bigger fish to fry, and yet in so many cases (Tanaka air bags, etc.), they fail to act in a timely manner despite numerous reported deaths...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV