Suggestions On How To Sell My LR4 (Sad Day)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I just dumped my 2015 tundra with the 5.7L after less than a year. Toyota did not impress with that engine, I had more problems with that engine than any other car I have ever owned. I'm not sure how much different the seats are in the LC buy the Tundra seats were so wide you would have to weigh over 500 lbs to get any lateral support. Not to mention the Toyota and Lexus brand really make a cramped cockpit (for no apparent reason). Don't fool yourself that the 5.7L is typical reliable Toyota it isn't. Hmmm. This would be concerning. I will do some research. I do like the towing strength it brings. But I also don't want to deal with reliability issues. That is one of the reasons we are looking at Toyota - its reliability reputation.We are a die hard Toyota and Ford family. So if you are a Ford family, what do you think of an F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 (torque is 420 at 2,500 rpm) for our needs? I have never been a truck person but an awful lot of people tell me I should be using a proper truck to pull at trailer. Of course many of those people say that a bigger truck - 250 or 350 - would be even better.The 5.7 does tow like a beast I must say.

I would go ask Toyota to borrow a LC for 24 hours. I do plan to do this. I have taken a couple of 30-minte drives. But for the long one I want my wife along. They will let you. Check out the seats, the cockpit (as they call it). Hmmm. I didn't notice this. I actually thought the seats worked well and might even be more comfortable for those 10 hour road trips we plan. But, I haven't done the 24 hour test.I think you might have second thoughts. I would take one of the 2003 versions over the new ones if I were to consider a Toyota again.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I bought my LR4 I had looked at the 200 series Land Cruisers. From what I saw, the only common engine problem I am aware of is that the water pump gasket goes out every 70k miles or so. It doesn't appear to major of a job if you are a DIY kind of guy.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, did you actually speak with Andy or any of the others at CanAm RV? Just curious. I'm fairly certain that they've helped other LR3/4 owners safely outfit their vehicles for a variety of trailer sizes. Then again, in spite of their expertise, you may be considering their guidance to be somewhat anecdotal. This still doesn't resolve the lack of clarity re the LR4's published specs and real world capabilities. Whatever you decide, you have definitely considered every reasonable angle.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BTW, the decision of what TV we will get is not final. We may look at a properly built out Ford 150. But that would be a far bigger stretch for us at this point.

Maybe I need more coffee but have you tried the base configuration with the LR4?

- Rhino hitch
- Correctly rated receiver hitch (there's lot's of low grade / low rated crap out there)
- No WDH
- Sway control managed by vehicle (see article referenced to ensure it is enabled, might need trip to dealer)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, did you actually speak with Andy or any of the others at CanAm RV? Just curious. I'm fairly certain that they've helped other LR3/4 owners safely outfit their vehicles for a variety of trailer sizes. Then again, in spite of their expertise, you may be considering their guidance to be somewhat anecdotal. This still doesn't resolve the lack of clarity re the LR4's published specs and real world capabilities. Whatever you decide, you have definitely considered every reasonable angle.

Hey, Chris. I did talk with Andy. That was led me to the Hensley. And the Curt Hitch Receiver - although they weld it to the frame.

And for those lining up for my wheels :biggrin: I have not totally abandoned the idea of making the LR4 work. I have not completed my test drives of the LC and have not looked into moving down to a pickup truck. :eek:

Andy, iet all remain fans of the LR4 (though I think there is general consensus that the lower-torque engine didn't help matters.) What was the slogan for that commercial a couple years ago - "I should have had a V8." Maybe I should find a low mileage MY13 LR4, weld on a Curt receiver, etc. Or maybe I just need to give up "trying to make it work", buy a big truck, buy a 5th wheel, retire and spend most of my days cruising America. :rolleyes:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I need more coffee but have you tried the base configuration with the LR4?

- Rhino hitch
- Correctly rated receiver hitch (there's lot's of low grade / low rated crap out there)
- No WDH
- Sway control managed by vehicle (see article referenced to ensure it is enabled, might need trip to dealer)

I would need to know that the issues encountered with the Rhino have truly been solved. Also that the WD/anti-sway hitch is in fact not needed with our size trailer. And that if the Rhino doesn't work will the Curt Class III (600 lbs max tongue with w/o a WD hitch) work.

There are simply a lot of things there that are "almost" good enough or "could be" or whatever. That is where the anxiety sets in.

Let's be clear, I pulled our older, boxier, higher trailer "OK" with the Curt receiver and the Hensley hitch last year. I am attempting to get the Hensley installed on the new trailer and upgraded to a simpler mechanism for unhook/hookup which may help. As for WD, I never did crank it up with the Hensley. With the Hensley it is more about making the TT/TV behave as one. (They have an interesting paper on the actual effects of cross winds - weather or tractor trailers or whatever - arguing that it is much less about weight or even wheel base and much more about the very different surface profile that each, trailer and TV, present to the wind.)

Anyway, putting the Hensley back on may alleviate some of the issues (still not the inconvenience of the Curt receiver - tire on roof, etc.) but a start. But if it works then I may have to disappoint the long queue of people lining up for my wheels/tires! :biggrin:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I bought my LR4 I had looked at the 200 series Land Cruisers. From what I saw, the only common engine problem I am aware of is that the water pump gasket goes out every 70k miles or so. It doesn't appear to major of a job if you are a DIY kind of guy.

Thanks. As you can imagine, I am digging into a couple of LC forums to see what I can uncover. Definitely a part of my research before I make a final decision. And, no, I am not a DIY guy. But what the heck, if I buy something that expensive I can probably afford to pay someone to replace the gasket.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or maybe I just need to give up "trying to make it work", buy a big truck, buy a 5th wheel, retire and spend most of my days cruising America. :rolleyes:

Wise man. At a certain point "data fatigue" may set in, at which point you can crack a beer, look at your wife, and say "whaddya wanna live forevuh? Jump in the Landy and let's go campin', dollface!!" :biggrin:

PS: Sorry, I think I do recall that you had contacted Andy. Never should have bothered asking you that, what with your drive to get concrete answers!

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would need to know that the issues encountered with the Rhino have truly been solved. Also that the WD/anti-sway hitch is in fact not needed with our size trailer. ....

So you haven't tried the LR base configuration.

Doubt you will find a recommendation that a WDH/Anti-Sway is NOT needed. Those are options and opinions and most people want to open your wallet and sell you product. In addition LR is a small participant in the RV market, likely mostly ignored. I mean, come on, everyone pulls a RV with a F250!

Warning, a friend/wife and Bev and I took a trip to Wy, Yellowstone and Mn. Yellowstone sites can be really busy, with extremely limited parking. Bev and I found parking with the LR4. Was pretty easy. The F250 on the other hand could not unless you parked miles away, maybe.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you haven't tried the LR base configuration.

Doubt you will find a recommendation that a WDH/Anti-Sway is NOT needed. Those are options and opinions and most people want to open your wallet and sell you product. In addition LR is a small participant in the RV market, likely mostly ignored. I mean, come on, everyone pulls a RV with a F250!

Warning, a friend/wife and Bev and I took a trip to Wy, Yellowstone and Mn. Yellowstone sites can be really busy, with extremely limited parking. Bev and I found parking with the LR4. Was pretty easy. The F250 on the other hand could not unless you parked miles away, maybe.

LOL! I mentioned to my wife this morning that maybe, in addition to test driving a LC, we should test drive a truck. The look I got back made it very clear that a truck will NOT be an option.

And as for the base configuration, it is the mismatched tongue weight that the speculation and lack of clarity from Land Rover surrounding it that is the biggest concern (for me) with the "base" LR approach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi