Suggestions On How To Sell My LR4 (Sad Day)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaJammer

Reaction score
I have nothing to add to this thread that is of any relevance to the topic. However, even though I have no future plans of towing anything with my LR4, I have found the research and information here fascinating.

Best of luck with whatever direction you go in.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, not surprised that that would be her initial reaction. But treat yourself to kicking some truck tires, at least. The new Ford pickups are sweet and seem to get great reviews as TVs especially in the Airstream community. The cabs are tricked out and roomy, and even the F150 has very impressive towing specs depending on the engine choice. I think they are good looking, too. The extended cabs work to visually downplay the whole pickup truck look. The bed also makes a great platform for securing your genset and other gear that you don't want to have in the trailer. Lots of obvious practical advantages to a pickup once you get past the fact that it's a pickup.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And as for the base configuration, it is the mismatched tongue weight that the speculation and lack of clarity from Land Rover surrounding it that is the biggest concern (for me) with the "base" LR approach.

After reading some articles and forum post on recalls, the OEM hitch is out of the question for me.

TOW BAR ON THE DISCOVERY 3

Need an update from Todd on Rhino findings. I'm a early adopter of the Rhino and so far no issues

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, not surprised that that would be her initial reaction. But treat yourself to kicking some truck tires, at least. The new Ford pickups are sweet and seem to get great reviews as TVs especially in the Airstream community. The cabs are tricked out and roomy, and even the F150 has very impressive towing specs depending on the engine choice. I think they are good looking, too. The extended cabs work to visually downplay the whole pickup truck look. The bed also makes a great platform for securing your genset and other gear that you don't want to have in the trailer. Lots of obvious practical advantages to a pickup once you get past the fact that it's a pickup.

Another perspective. Over the years we have had many camping friends. Many became infected with 2-foot-itis which ...... requires a bigger tow vehicle! They graduated from Jeeps to Trucks to 3/4 ton trucks to ......

They loved to harass us and tell us we needed bigger. (We tent and pop-up trailer camped)

They have now graduated to sitting at home complaining that camping is a pain, its hard to find a good campground, campgrounds are like sardines, they cost too much ....

All the while Bev and I have stayed small, camped where we want (no cost), toured where we want, found parking at attractions while others drove in circles. We seldom camp with them and decline the invitations to "come camp with us" , knowing their environment.

2-foot-itis is a terrible disease.

On the original topic, when we were looking for a tow vehicle we did the usual rounds. Holy crap the full size pickups were big and offered zero visibility. I felt like I was in a boat. The LR4 decision was easy.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing on the LC. Toyota is now only offering the 5.7 in flex fuel configuration in many states (including CO). So instead of 10-15k oil changes you have to do them every 5k. Also, the MPG drops from the historical 16-21 to a solid 12/14.3-15 mpg. It sucks even for a truck. Ask if this applies to the LC. Don't get a FF version...run...

The f150 with the ECO-boost V6 is awesome. I live in Colorado a relatively dry state, so the documented issues don't occur. There have been significant issues with the v6 eco boost f150 in humid climates where there are "skips" sudden total loss of power for 1-10 seconds. It has something to do with humidity and the turbo chargers. You can get all the info on that from the F150 portal for users.

I was on the cusp of buying a 2003 LC and doing the entire suspension upgrade myself then having the entire powertrain rebuilt. But instead I decided to take a leap of faith with LR after my next door neighbor with his LR3 said 148k with no problems.

I tow a 20' Rockwood Roo with the LR4 v6sc. I do miss the low end torque of a V8, but the SC really kicks ass up the mountain once I get rolling. Aslo, an SC engine definitely has higher quality parts vs a standard v6 or 8 due to risk of blowing everything up. I figured the SC was a good choice.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing on the LC. Toyota is now only offering the 5.7 in flex fuel configuration in many states (including CO). So instead of 10-15k oil changes you have to do them every 5k. Also, the MPG drops from the historical 16-21 to a solid 12/14.3-15 mpg. It sucks even for a truck. Ask if this applies to the LC. Don't get a FF version...run...

Thanks! I was not aware of this but will watch out for it.

I tow a 20' Rockwood Roo with the LR4 v6sc. I do miss the low end torque of a V8, but the SC really kicks ass up the mountain once I get rolling. Aslo, an SC engine definitely has higher quality parts vs a standard v6 or 8 due to risk of blowing everything up. I figured the SC was a good choice.

We had a Rockwood Roo as well (23IKSS) It was a great trailer - especially if we had kids and/or dogs, but after a season we decided the hybrid route was not for us. It is now for sale.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also think about the Tahoe\Suburban Z71. I went with a 2016 Suburban, as I could not wait any longer for the LR5. It does surprisingly well off tarmac - not Land Rover worthy, but better than other SUV's I've had. The Z71 has a low range and better gearing than standard Tahoe\Suburbans.

Note - this is a sad pic, as it is the same mountain range as in my signature. Fire burned the back-half of our property the week before.

Attachments

• Z71_ Lot 5_7-30-2016.jpg
    Z71_ Lot 5_7-30-2016.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Stigy

Reaction score
Dan did you sell your LR4 yet? I'm in the market for one and interested.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA