Suspension Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure ESP costs less than a transmission too. Its on my todo list. Where did that thread go...

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It went up to the search button where there's a box with "Ford ESP" typed into it.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the overall difference is, but the LR3's were available ROW with coil springs, and rumor has it some were even sold in the US. Might ask the dealer, or LRNA, about just converting yours to the coiler version.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the acronym ROW stands for; please advise.

I think a coiler version would be pretty sweet (for reliability) but there are a few things to address:

1. Ground clearance. Would the LR3 permanently be at Off-road Height?
2. Cross-linking. The ills of indi suspension would come to bear without those cross-link valves that help the LR3 maintain clearance in cross-axle situations.
3. Articulation. I believe that current LR3 coilers do not have the same wheel travel as those with the EAS. If I remember right our own Nathan Woods showed a photo of his rig going over a stretch of terrain and then a "normal" LR3 doing so.

I'd sort of miss my 12.5" - 14.5" of ground clearance (rod mod, Offroad height and extended height, respectively) that I enjoy with the EAS currently, but I agree that it would be more of a trouble-free system.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have a NAS spec coiler. I think there are a total of 27 originally shipped in late 2004 to the States before formally being introduced to the market. I bought mine in 2005 specifically because it was significantly cheaper than a standard SE or HSE model with air suspension, and because at that time, the LR3's were having fairly major compressor problems that scared me.

Its good and bad. Very simply mechanically, and has proven quite reliable. I can fly down dirt tracks/roads at off road height at speeds far above the EAS limited 30mph. However, as Horum pointed out, I have substantially less articulation than the cross linked air bags. Fortunately, the superb traction control has effectively compensated for having a wheel or two (or three!) in the air, but if I ever have any money to invest in this truck again beyond stupid gas tanks, I want to customize the suspension to increase the articulation.

My coiler has been lifted to be +65mm taller than the stock Normal ride height, just lightly higher than your normal off road height (which is +50mm I think).

Height chart (coilers vs Air): http://www.nextstepdesigns.com/images/LR3/LR3_heights.pdf

Here is a typical air suspension equipped SE:
Cleghorn-3-_03.gif

Here is a shot when my truck was a brand new bone stock low rider (stock coils):
Cleghorn_16.gif

Here is a little bit more current photo:
223585711_ch5pW-L.jpg

strutmastr

Reaction score
I have 05 SE7 that's been having suspension issues/faults for quite a long time and the dealer can't seem to fix it. I'll have it back a day or so and the faults will start again. Can anyone recommend a place where I can get a conversion kit like what is available for the RR? My warranty expired in November (the dealer is covering it since it hasn't been fixed) but if I continue having these issues later, the dealer will cost me a fortune. thanks in advance!
Check out Strutmasters.com. We have a Range Rover Conversion Kit that allows you to end your air suspension problems forever. It includs everything you need to convert your Range Rover's air spring system to coil springs, and it comes with a Lifetime Warranty!
http://www.strutmasters.com/range-rover-suspension-s/99.htm

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Strutmasters.com. We have a Range Rover Conversion Kit that allows you to end your air suspension problems forever. It includs everything you need to convert your Range Rover's air spring system to coil springs, and it comes with a Lifetime Warranty!
http://www.strutmasters.com/range-rover-suspension-s/99.htm

Please answer the questions in Post 9 of this thread. Please don't post a product that is not applicable to the truck in question. If you have a LR3 specific product, terrific! But I suspect you don't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi