Swing away tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munky

Reaction score
I need some advice/direction. I have compomotives with bfg ko2 tires, and need to figure out a spare tire solution. I would like to do a swing away tire carrier on the back, but not seeing many options other than the voyager. I am not against the voyager, but it doesn't look as sturdy as the discontinued front runner, or rasta swing aways. I am not certain i am ready for a full bumper, and have a clearance issue so a rack and carrier up top is not an option today. Any sugestions? i just cant seem to find many options. thanks in advance.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voyager is the only one I'm aware of that does not require a new bumper.

For the latter route, there is Tactical 4x4 or Kaymar, but I don't think Kaymar is available in the U.S. right now.

Olli Rita

Reaction score
Ive got a Voyager tire carrier, couldn't be happier. I drive daily on bad dirt roads and carry a ko2 265x65x18 on it

Munky

Reaction score
that is great to hear! i read a comment somewhere which mentioned the spindles and hardware were questionable. didnyou have to do any modifications? any rattles? i was looking st the slim voyager, it is on sale now an was thinking about giving it a shot. any negayives at all? thanks again!

fishjump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at this: https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-max/

I have also been looking at rear tire options too, but my requirements may be different.

My need is a temporary solution for when I go to remote areas and want to carry a second spare, and I can also mount additional fuel tanks too. Then store it when not needed.

Munky

Reaction score
I am running 285/60/18 full time and want/need a full time solution. The hitch option is not suitable for me and impacts rear clearance too much- I like it, just doesn't suit my needs. I think I am pulling the trigger on a voyager slim and see how it goes- sale price is nice. Front runner is re-vamping theirs and it will be ready in a few months@ around 1500 I believe.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some advice/direction. I have compomotives with bfg ko2 tires, and need to figure out a spare tire solution. I would like to do a swing away tire carrier on the back, but not seeing many options other than the voyager. I am not against the voyager, but it doesn't look as sturdy as the discontinued front runner, or rasta swing aways. I am not certain i am ready for a full bumper, and have a clearance issue so a rack and carrier up top is not an option today. Any sugestions? i just cant seem to find many options. thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with my LR3, couldn't find a swing away spare tire carrier that wasn't ugly, so I built one out of spare parts I had here. Here's what it looks l
IMG_0981.JPG
ike Here's a short video of it.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mbw

You spare sure seems to sit a lot closer to the back of the truck than mine does. Did you mod the carrier at all?

Just curious.

Zero mods. Just adjust the set screw and push the tube thing closer to the vehicle. You have two adjustments on mine. In-out and up-down-swivel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA