The Cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Ok so my cruise control has been doing really weird things lately. It works and then it doesnt work, works, and then it will not work.
I have A) checked and replaced ALL hoses (the first cheap thing I have done on the D1); B) I believe that the vacuum pump is ok (removed, cleaned, and re-connected)? My only concern is the power steering leak could be getting the cc pump a bit dirty; C) lastly, I have adjusted the kickdown cable and I made sure that the diaphragm is working and has not been punctured.
The cc will set, but then it is like something can not 'hold it' then it releases. It will go on cruise for about 15-20 miles or so then BAM!! Cruise is gone and I have to re-set again, or it will not re-set @ all. Any advice would be great ! Thanks in Advance. :stupid:
Mel

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Failing brake switch? There's a cruise cutoff on the brake pedal, and if it's going it could mess up the cruise (it interrupts the circuit that powers the cruise, so your truck would think the brakes were being used even if you're accelerating). IIRC it's located pretty far up the brake pedal, on the metal part up under the driver's kick panel.

Andy

D

discomike

Melissa,
I agree with Moose, it is sure worth a shot. Also check all electrical connections, make sure they are clean and secure.
By the way, I like the fact that you have included your picture on your postings, I wondered ,when I read your first post, what you as as a law student on and Rover must look like. It is good to see a woman who so enjoys her truck and knows so much about it.
Good luck.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! You know I think it actually could be elecritcal. I have noticed that @ times when I turn the blinker on (left or right); it does have a perpensity to release the cc all together, which in turn forces me to re-set again. I will check out the brake switch too ( if I recall its called the nuetral lockout relay)? Or what Andy said which is the brake/vent switch.
Mike- on the picture..Some times its nice to have a face with a name. :) I do not always wear the cowbay hat though, just when the mood strikes me.
Mel

D

discomike

Well, that is a great mood look than.
Have a good day.
Mike j.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another electrical path to follow could be a trailer brake controller box (just an idea).

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hello Troy! Trailer Brake controller box? Could you or would you further speculate on that please ? Thanks..Melissa

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a trailer brake controller installed under my dash on the driver's side. I know that this directly interacts with the braking system ("reads" the braking signal and passes this on to the 7-way plug - which applies the brakes on any attached trailer). My controller box has 3 different adjustments on it:
1) manual brake lever
2) controller sensitivity (how long it waits before sending the "brake" signal to the trailer)
3) brake force (so that you don't lock the trailer wheels up if the trailer is light - and vice versa if the trailer is heavy)

My thought on this was that something could be tripping the brake controller, and it was passing some sort of false brake signal on (I don't know if this is even possible); thus, cancelling the cruise control.

D

discomike

Troy,
I think if Melissa were hooked up to a trailor this would be a good direction to look, but not being hooked up would leave all the wires open unless there were a short as in a worn wire.
Milessa, what ever you find, let us know.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Way to go Moose! It is the Brake Switch @ least that is what we deduced today.. Thanks again Andy, Mike and Troy...Problem solved for now. :tongue:
Melissa

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72