The Seafoam Picture and Instruction Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kapaduch

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole land rover thing, but i just got my discovery II (2000 disco II, w/ 82,000mi) about a month ago, and these LIGHTS AHHHHH, but i got my blinking check engine light checked out and it had NINE codes, the first was a "large emissions leak" the other EIGHT were misfire codes, i assume 1 misfire for each cylinder, but that could be wrong. I went ahead and changed all the plugs and all the wires. The light went off a day or two later, but then right back on again with the same problem, and wont go away. It runs really nicely, but the light will start blinking at highway speeds about 70mph, and then it turns into a solid amber (stops blinking). I really have no idea about this one. I figured the plugs and wires would have fixed it, but i guessed wrong. Is there anything anybody can think of to help me out. Im running fuel injector cleaner through it, but no help yet. PLEASEEE HELPP, i really cant afford to keep taking it back to the dealer.
Thanks, for any information or opinions, i really appreciate it guys,
Kevin P.

C

campbell

Does it seem to occur after hard acceleration? Mine was throwing misfire codes after passing someone on the highway. My problem ended-up being the plug wires.
Worst case is valves... Try some Seafoam through the intake. I would email some pictures to you of the hose to pour it through but I am at work and don't have the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

discomike

Kevin,
What exactly were the codes you got before and know? Your 02 won't just turn off the CEL by itself after a repair.
I would also suggest you try some SeaFoam also or B&G's 44K. With your mileage I would buy 3 cans and really go after it, one in the tank, one in the engine oil and the last in the induction system. If it is carbon, that will cause misfires and this may help.
Get back to us with your codes.
Mike J.

K

kapaduch

Hey, thanks for the help guys. I'm not really sure what the exact codes were, but ill probalby go get them read again tomorow(@ autozone). And yes, i think it is worse after hard acceleration. Someone told me to try and get on the pedal a few times, like 5,000 RPM's. It seemed fine, and then i turned it off, but the next time i drove it, the light started blinking again, and i was only going about 35mph. that is the first time it has blinked at a lower speed. I put the fuel injector cleaner in, but i would like to run the seafoam through the engine, but to be honest i'm not exactly sure where to put it in. Any help on this would be appreciated. And also i know this is a reallllllllyyyyy dumb question, but does anybody have a diagram or know where i can get a diagram of the spark plug wiring. I had to do it blindly since there is only about a 2" space between the wires the engine and the firewall. But anyways when i replaced them, i accidently knocked 2 off at the same time. I'm 99.9% sure i have all the wires in the right space, and if i had 2 backwards, im sure my engine would let me know REALLY quick. but just making sure.
Once again, thanks for the help guys.

D

discomike

Check and make sure on your plugs, although I don't they they are the problem, then go get 3 cans of SeaFoam from Napa, then get back to us.
Mike J.
DISCO II COIL LAYOUT

PASS. SIDE DRIVER SIDE
8 5 6 1
2 3 4 7

BOTTOM

K

kapaduch

Hey, thanks alot for the layout. I'm goin right now to go get the seafoam. But where in the engine to I put it in? and how fast should i put it in? I'll go ahead and put it in the gas tank, and oil, but if someone could describe where to add it to the engine, or a picture would be awesome. but anything would help, thanks alot again, this forum is awesome.
Kevin P.

D

discomike

When you go buy the SeaFoam, buy 2 to 3 feet of a small vaccum hose the size of the ones on the throttle body and then I'll walk you through it.
Mike J.

C

campbell

This is taken of the passenger side of the engine. Take the hose off of the valve cover, turn it 180 degrees so the opening is up, get a funnel that fits snuggly in the hose, start engine and pour about 1/2 of the Seafoam into the hose. Pour slowly because your engine will try to stall. Once half of the can is sucked-in. Turn truck off and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Start it up and watch it smoke. Do this in a well ventilated area. It will smoke like a toothless redneck. :bandit:

Edit: This is for D2 only...

Attachments

• land_rover 004.jpg
    land_rover 004.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,206
D

discomike

I like the idea of pulling a vaccumn line off the manifold and attaching a couple feet of new line that is stuck in the SeaFoam bottle. I regulate the flow with a pair of needle nose pliers and us e the whole can over 5 minutes of flow, then let it sit for a half hour. Once you start driving try to get to a highway so you can really let the engine get up to speed.
The bad part of this though is that the smoke trail is pretty bad for about 10 minutes, but the results are worth it.
Mike J.

K

kapaduch

Hey guys, thanks so much for the help and the pics. I tried getting the seafoam tonight but the local auto store closed, as i was parking...AHHHHHH..... oh well. But i'm gonna get on this first thing tomorow morning, and i'll let you know how it turns out. Also this might be a dumb question too, but if it does fix the problem should the light turn off by itself, or do i have to get it cleared still? Thank you guys so much for the advice.
Thanks,
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA