thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 disco 4.0 115k. I was wondering if this sounds like a stat problem. It started off like this, at full temp while running it blew the top hose off the top of the stat housing. I chalked it up to that I did something stupid like not tightening the clamp when I replaced it oh so many months ago. I then doubled up all of those clamps. Then I noticed a drop in fluid level. I could smell it but had no visuals on the leak. Figured it was residual af slowly burning off and I reblead the system thinking I missed it the first time. It dropped level again so I check the oil, nothing. pull the plugs nothing. ***! Bleed again and add dye. Ran it all day without a drop. the next day I noticed a puddle under the car and found that it is boiling out of the tank. but seemed to still be full to the line. After starting it i noticed a steady drip from the over flow. again thinking it was my error I bleed it again. One would think that I would know how to do this after owning this vehicle for more than 3/4 of its life. Today after 30 minutes of driving it popped the throttle housing return pipe which is a hose that was switch last year. The heater is blowing hot at idle and gets really hot when on the throttle and it seems to still be boiling over. some hoses are hot and some are really hot when at operating temp. The temp looks normal from the dash. Thanks in advance.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at it again. there was a puddle under it and it looks as if it is seeping through the top hose connection to the radiator. I think its building too much pressure.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the Tstat stuck if it is doing it fairly fast, or sadly could be a blown head gasket.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the Tstat stuck if it is doing it fairly fast, or sadly could be a blown head gasket.

Thanks Joey, what do you mean by if its doing it fast? boiling over? Thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes if it boils over right after it gets to operating temp, then yes it is the Tstat (or at least very good chance of it).

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the tstat and its doing fine when it is running. it seems as if it is building pressure after it is shut down.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may of had two issues then... Tstat and I am hoping buy maybe a bad head gasket. Two ways to check, chemical test of the antifreeze (of course you could start by changing antifreeze if it has been a while, remember it is only good for a couple of years).

and two, pull the heads.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of a slipped sleeve acting like this? If not I think I'm doing a head job.
I haven't done one in a rover before. Any curve balls in this job? I sure this has been asked before but is there an iron block replacement? Thanks for all your help?

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update.

Had a chem test done and there is exhaust in the the coolant. They replaced the head gasket 21000 miles ago when they replaced the motor that was under warranty. They quoted me 2600.00 for a head gasket job. I then reminded him that they replaced them 21000 miles ago he said he had to call me back. When he called me back he then said that it could be a cracked sleeve. Has anyone heard of a cylinder failure acting like this? Im going to start pulling it apart soon, Im not sure what I'm looking at with a slipped or cracked sleeve. Is this a straight forward head gasket job? I have done plenty of head gaskets but never on a rover.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember the rover is a 1960 Buick 215ci engine, so I am sure you will do fine. If it is a slipped liner then it can be fixed if you find the right engine guy (cheaper than getting a new engine) my bet is the head bolts have starting to back off and this has cause the head gasket to go bad.

Give Nathan a call at:

Platinum Motor Sports
2279 Commerce Parkway
LaGrange, KY 40031
502-222-5859
502-396-7274

I am sure he will give you the best advise you can get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi